Cole's Customs

reducing bait memory

When packaging baits, what is the best way to reduce their memory so when they are taken out they aren't bent? I had some finesse worms barely longer than my bags, and when I get them out they all had slight kinks in them. I am getting larger bags so they will fit in there straight, is there any other precautions I could take  to minimize this problem?

It’s kind of a tough one. Certainly for straight worms or Senko style baits you want your bag large enough so they can lay straight when packaged. Your other baits like craws, RTW’s, hogs, lizards and such if you must bag them, you can oil them lightly with worm oil where they slide in the package easily and place them while trying to keep the kinks to a minimum. One other alternative, that I personally use ,is to not bag those baits that kink but to place them in the small ziploc type hard plastic containers with the removable tops. They are relatively cheap and plastisol proof. Of course, these are for personal use appropriately placed in my boat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cole's Customs said:

I have been giving them 24 hours is that about right?

That's about what I did, then I read members on here talking about curing for 3 to 5 days.  I think it depends on the plastic being used. 

I can say this for sure....

There were many times that I poured, packaged, and shipped on the same day, and for the life of me I can't ever remember a customer complaining about bends in them. 

One additional thing that will make a difference is add worm oil to the bag.   While I hate the stuff it keeps plastics from sticking to the bag.   With no sticking the bait will want to return to it initial shape and usually settle in the base of the bag when stored.