jonister

Deps slide swimmer clearcoat

I have accumulated one of these glides to repaint, and have ran into a few issues due to the soft outershell of the bait. It is as if a hard bait were slipped into a silicone or soft rubber sheath, however unlike plastisol. Initially I base coated with white krylon, which never cured in my heat box. The only remedy was to remove from the heat and cold cure. I lightly heat set my createx paint to try to avoid this. That worked well however now we are on to clear coating. My thoughts are either krylon clear or Art Resin. Art resin cures about as hard as E-tex. Would the Art Resin be too rigid, would the Krylon not hold up? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.  

Thanks guys and Merry Christmas!

@mark poulson it appears this bait had the paint on the outside and the foil on the inside. I just painted over it all as I didn't want to possibly screw up the bait getting the outside off. Thankyou for the videos! I have see both a few times plus some more. Neither go into detail on clearcoat. 

1 hour ago, jonister said:

@mark poulson it appears this bait had the paint on the outside and the foil on the inside. I just painted over it all as I didn't want to possibly screw up the bait getting the outside off. Thankyou for the videos! I have see both a few times plus some more. Neither go into detail on clearcoat. 

Wow, I had no idea it could be painted like that!  That is really interesting.

I did some more searching on Swimbait Underground. It seems most are not clear coating the silicone shell. Just painting to outer shell and going with it.  Several threads about how someone tried to clear with epoxy and it never dried/cured and remained sticky. I thought I had read before somewhere where someone was having luck painting these with a lacquer based paint,  don't know if they cleared them or not. Supposedly the lacquer paint chemically adhered better to the silicone shell, don't know if it's true and can't seem to find that info again . Many are stripping the paint from the outer skin, adding foil or paint to the hardbody underneath, replacing the shell and a small amount of detail to the outer shell. 

Hmm. Thanks for the info on clearcoating! I'll avoid the 2 part, maybe try it on a small area. The guy I'm painting it for had painted over it with rattle cans and that had lasted until I took it off with acetone. I might try the rattle can clear and see how it lasts. Hes a friend so I figure I can paint it again if it comes off. 

• Like 1