Jeff Hahn

Harbor Freight Powder Paint

I'll echo the others, it seems to go on heavier than Columbia coatings or Protec.  I was using the flat black and it was ok if I sprayed it but in a fluid bed it wasn't working. The temp is really touchy with it, I tried using real low temps in order for it to just adhere to the heads I was painting but that didn't work.  Then 1 more second of heat and it seemed to be ok but it produced a real heavy coat.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 11:26 AM, Apdriver said:

Jeff, I didn’t like it and gave what I had away. It went on real thick and when I heat set it, it ran and made cone heads. Just my experience. I use Columbia Coatings now and buy by the pound. They also handle Prismatic Powders.

^^^^^^^^This!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

Could they be "thinned" by adding some clear powder?

Maybe but I felt like the colors were dull too. They only have four or five colors anyway. If I’m going to take the time, spend the money for all the equipment and supplies to persue my hobby, then why color it with an inferior product from China?

• Thanks 1

Yeah I guess I'm like everybody else and will say I'm not a fan of it.

I wanted to get some more red to coat some cast bullets for reloading and the last time I try to order they told me it was hazardous and wouldn't ship to me here in Alaska.

So I ordered some powder paints from Cadman and they work wonders for cast bullets and jigs.

His prices were really good also.

• Like 1

Totally agree with smalljaw and cadman. It does seem to be very touchy on the amount of heat. I recently did some cap nuts. It took a few tries to get it to lay right. Did not use a fluid bed. First dip had so much paint on it I scraped it off with a wooden craft stick prior to baking. I didn't notice any drips in the oven though. For rough work ok, for pride work skip.