Rnd101

Where does everyone get their blanks from?

I was wondering where everybody got their blanks from? I started painting my own lures last year but i didn't have very good luck using the baits this summer because I couldn't get them to swim like a store bought bait. I used the 30 min epoxy brushed on. I suspect that I didn't get the lures coated evenly therefore they didn't swim correctly. Even-though I had a lure turner. I just bought some diamond coat clear coat from kbs i am hoping that dipping them will correct the error from brushing epoxy on.

Some KO blanks are better than others. Good thing they are cheap. Trial and error is the only way I have found what I like.  You may find some in the same batch are better than others. I think that it is mostly from improper weight arrangements.  

Edited by 21xdc

Pretty much all of these bodies are coming from China, no matter where you buy them from. I have worked in China (non-lure related) and visited many small part factories in the course of my design work. Not all small manufacturers are equal.

There are those who produce an accurate shape, but know absolutely nothing about lures. Consequently, the lures do not swim as intended. Others get the swim right but fail to allow for the addition of a topcoat, which changes everything. And then there are companies that know what they are doing, took advice and produce a good product.

The girls on the high intensity production line know nothing about your requirements, they are simply trying to keep up and make their quotas. Quality control is often lacking, and so you should expect a few leaky bodies. But, if the lure does not swim right, time to find a new supplier. There is plenty of good advice regards suppliers, see above post(s).

I used to be extremely critical of this section of lure 'building', but now I am forced to accept its inclusion in our 'hobby'. Painting is a skill I admire deeply. Still, give me a block of wood any day :)

Dave

• Like 2

I have had good luck with Cedar Run baits, yes some must be adjusted but it is minor.  The sanding is good also leaving me with less work to do.  Plus good service.  I have bought from other suppliers but you must find what works for you.

Wayne

I  rather work with wood!

• Like 2