shootermcbob

heat setting

Everyone knows I am not a painter, but I do actually own an airbrush and a box of hardly used paints. On my few attempts (count on one hand) I used a hair dryer, and was successful. Never had any problems, top coat of D2T went on without incident.

As far as I know, Createx paints are designed for use on fabrics, T-shirts and so on. They react to ironing temperatures to be 'fixed' onto the material. So, a little more heat than just driving off the moisture is required to 'fix' the paint. If your paint is 'crackling' it sounds like way too much heat.

For our application were we are adding an epoxy top coat, actual 'fixing' is probably not necessary, merely removing the moisture is enough, as long as the colours do not run.

Again, with so little experience, I will accept criticism magnanimously if I am misleading. I don't know why I am even replying to this topic :)

Dave

• Haha 1

Either will work...  For normal paint jobs a lure is dry enough to handle after spraying a few other baits.   I dried crackle paint jobs to speed the process but the product I used seamed slow to dry but the undercoat I was using was brushed. 

I have never been in a big of enough hurry to use them with any consistent basis.   As I may paint a dozen lures,  then go build a dozen lures,  top coat the painted lures a day or two later,  paint the new lures, install hardware, decide to pour some baits.....   Hopefully I go fishing instead of doing any of it as no point in making lures for kicks.  :lolhuh:  

I started cleaning up my garage and found baits that need clear coats.  They were signed and dated 4/21/12.   

• Like 2

To achieve a crackle effect I use this:  https://www.amazon.com/FolkArt-Medium-Ounce-696-Crackle/dp/B000YQKLCM with good results.  I've also read that you can make a similar solution by watering down Elmers white glue, although Ive never tried this.  If you are painting plastic baits I would be cautious of getting them too hot with a heat gun as they will split at the seam.  Wood baits are probably more forgiving in that regard.

You can expand and split plastic baits with too much heat.  Too much heat on wood baits causes gas in the wood to expand and seek a way out, usually in an area of end grain, bubbling your finish.  I use a hair dryer after each color.  It only takes a few seconds to dry with moderate heat.

• Like 1