A Milton

ghost blade clevis size

Hi,

I recently bought some  colorado ghost blades (size2) and have tried various patterns but don't seem to be able to get these to spin. I've tried both size 1 and size 2 clevis's.  I always use a very small brass bead under the clevis so that bead is not too large. I was wondering how other people have gotten on with these? Any tips?

Many thanks from New Zealand!

-Antony

10 hours ago, azsouth said:

without pictures I would be guessing,

1. bad clevis

2. bad bead

3. blade installed wrong

if it tries to spins and stops or does the stop and go it is usually the clevis or bead...try having at least 2 beads IMO

Yeah, sorry, don't have a functioning digital camera at the moment. Basically I'm doing the same set up as I use for metal colorado blades- a very standard pattern.  The metal blades work perfectly but the plastic ones- ghost blades- don't seem to spin at all. 2 small beads between body and clevis.

The ghost blades seem to be ok on a safety pin type spinnerbait. I never tried them on an in-line but I have some things you may try that could help. The first is clevis type, I'm assuming you are using like .024" - .028" diameter so your clevis size should be fine but if you are using a folded clevis try a stirrup or easy spin.  Most inline spinner guys prefer the folded clevis but the stirrup clevis spins easier, so if you are using a #1 folded clevis try the same size stirrup clevis unless you are using .030" or larger wire. You may also want to try using a heavier body, the extra weight will allow you to give a little more speed to your retrieve which should help. As I said, I have used those blade on safety pin spinnerbaits and I used a #3 Colorado on a size #2 clevis on .031" diameter wire on a 3/8oz bait but that set up is much different than what you are doing.

15 hours ago, A Milton said:

Thanks for the help with this guys!! Googling safety pin lures now

Safety pin spinnerbait is what is typically used for bass fishing, just google "Tandem spinnerbait" and you'll see what I'm referring too. It is different that the in-line spinner you are making, that is why you have to look at everything from the wire diameter to the clevis size and the weight of the body.  Have you tried giving the bait a sharp twitch or jerk to try to get the blade started? I know that there are a lot of commercially made spinners than need to be ripped once or twice to get them started.

• Like 1

Thanks for that- yeah, I looked into safety pin lures so know what you mean. We don't have bass here. Trout, perch and the odd salmon are the main fresh water fish. Would sure love top get over there for a fish someday though. And yes, tried the rip and the twitch. Will persevere or try and find another use for them. 

• Like 1