redhouse109

wrap for stripes on bluegill baits

That just looks like a stencil made those stripes.  I think she cuts those out of cardboard.  Pellon or wonder web looks more like this 1.5.   I shot the black over the other colors after wrapping the bait in the material. You can get Pellon material at Wally World or just save your dryer sheets when your done with them and shoot thru them, it works cool and it's free.

You could wrap the bait with the WW and then place a stencil over it a shoot for a cool effect. I shot these gill's stripes with Darise mesh under a stencil. 

101_1304.JPG

101_1265.JPG

Edited by AZ Fisher

Been lurking for quite a while, but thought I may have something to contribute.

I use green painters tape. I cut it in narrow strips long enough to go down one side of the lure, over the top, and back down the other side, 2" is usually long enough. When I cut in narrow strips I don't cut straight, but instead make the cuts wavy. I don't worry too much about getting the tips down tight, that way I can get a hold of them easier to take them off.

For my bluegill I paint the top with a light green, tape it, paint again with a darker green. Remove the tape and do a very light cover of Pearl Copper and again with Pearl Magenta. Then one last run down the middle of the back in either dark green or black. The stripes on this one don't stand out as much as they do on others I've done, but it gives you an idea.

IMG_2720.JPG

• Like 1

Great responses to the original question.  Thanks everyone. Seems I misunderstood.....the bait was wrapped in Pellon wonder web for the textured looking base, then the stripes were added.  I really like the randomness of the stripes.  I suppose cardboard could be used to make a stencil that would produce random striping.  If its done freehand I'll have to admit that I don't have that level of airbrush control just yet.  

• Like 1