Driftwood

Base pins

What are you trying to do. Go from a std. base pin to a reduced size pin for less weedguard strands? If so what is the current size base pins? If it is 1/8 " like a Do -It molds, then I may be able to help you. 

Edited by cadman

I picked this mold up from an estate auction, it didn' have anything with it so I'm starting out green ( really green.) . I have never poured lead so I've been reading and watching some videos when I saw the base pins. Is there a standard size for a 3/8 round head mold? Don't want to reduce the size. Also saw where a guy used a drill bit in place of a pin but he modified the mold.

Measure the gap where the base pin goes. This will be the diameter of the base pin that needs to fit in the mold. In looking at your mold, the base pin will be upside down when you are going to pour the lead. This means that when you put a base pin in the mold, and turn it upside down, the base pin might fall out. So there are several things you can do to keep this from happening.

#1.  Make sure the base pin that you stick in the mold is several thousandths bigger than the actual base hole size. This will snug up tightly in the mold when you close it and keep it from falling out.

#2. Put a little tape on the base pin you intend to put in there. The tape wrapped around the pin will snug it up.

For a base pin, find out what size you need, and then you can use a shank end of a drill bit , nail, stiff wire rod, or any other round metal that fits your base pine hole size.

Hope this helps some. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Driftwood said:

How do I find the size base pin for a 3/8 hilts mold for a RH 38-2 fiber guard? 

RH means "round head" , the 38 is "3/8", and the 2 is "2 cavity", that is how the mold is identified. There are 2 types of weed guard usually used, a wire weed guard and a fiber weed guard, the mold is specifying it was designed to be poured with the fiber guard inserted. Just like Cadman told you, measure the opening, there are 4 standard size fiber weed guards, an FG-9 which is 1/16" diameter, FG-12 which is 5/64" diameter, then the FG-30 which is 1/8" in diameter, and the FG-40 which is 5/32" in diameter.  So measure the slot for the weed guard and that will tell you which weed guard you need and the size pin you will need.  I'm guessing it is 1/8" as that is the most common size for a 3/8oz jig head but it is just a guess.

• Like 1