mark poulson

Who sells Calhoun's plastic

2 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Do you sell the same degassed plastic that Bait Junky used to sell?

No, Leonard used to degas Calhoun plastic himself and there is no one else selling the same plastic already degassed. You would be far ahead of to just buy a simple setup and do it yourself prior to cooking it. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Les Young said:

Will  nondegassed plastic have a lot of bubbles if left alone & just heated in the microwave ? 

I've never used degassed plastisol or had problems with bubbles.  I've poured calhoun, chemionics, mf, and one that del used to sell but the name escapes me.

• Like 1

I've let this thread play itself out to a degree in an effort to establish what the most common thought patterns are.   We're the Calhoun Distributor as was Baitjunkies and Leonard did an outstanding job, it's our goal to continue what he established.

I've been pouring (not injecting) Calhoun for 10 yrs and like the cell phone (what did we do before their invent) have never used degassed plastisol.  There are two trains of thought.  1)  The plastisol is to blame &  2)  Over mixing 

Understanding DIY as I do having the same roots, there's going to always exist a base of 'need' depending on whether a person can use a certain amount of plastisol within a given period of time.  ie if a person has limited time to pour/shoot with limited cavity counts they may only go through a gallon every two weeks.  This scenario requires different re-mixing of material.  If a person has more time and higher cavity counts they will use more material and faster which in turn will require fewer remixes.  

I  do find the degassing issue interesting in so much as not having ever done it I have to ask "does degassing save time"?  It's seems to me that the amount of time it would take would be similar to just heating and wait for the bubbles to rise naturally.  On the outside it appears to me that a step is being added with the same end result.  I'd like to read some responses.

were you find degassing a advantage, is the ability to mix the hell out of it, and post degass. It is science and it is a chemical, it is going to settle, and it is going to aerate at it current viscosity. a thinner material dont aerate as badly if at all. But...... Thinner material also has other drawbacks. Like it ability to suspend.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Baitjunkys said:

were you find degassing a advantage, is the ability to mix the hell out of it, and post degass. It is science and it is a chemical, it is going to settle, and it is going to aerate at it current viscosity. a thinner material dont aerate as badly if at all. But...... Thinner material also has other drawbacks. Like it ability to suspend.

An issue I've never seen addressed is whether or not degassing affects bouyancy?  So much is made of bouyancy of different grades of plastisol.   

12 hours ago, JBuff said:

I've let this thread play itself out to a degree in an effort to establish what the most common thought patterns are.   We're the Calhoun Distributor as was Baitjunkies and Leonard did an outstanding job, it's our goal to continue what he established.

I've been pouring (not injecting) Calhoun for 10 yrs and like the cell phone (what did we do before their invent) have never used degassed plastisol.  There are two trains of thought.  1)  The plastisol is to blame &  2)  Over mixing 

Understanding DIY as I do having the same roots, there's going to always exist a base of 'need' depending on whether a person can use a certain amount of plastisol within a given period of time.  ie if a person has limited time to pour/shoot with limited cavity counts they may only go through a gallon every two weeks.  This scenario requires different re-mixing of material.  If a person has more time and higher cavity counts they will use more material and faster which in turn will require fewer remixes.  

I  do find the degassing issue interesting in so much as not having ever done it I have to ask "does degassing save time"?  It's seems to me that the amount of time it would take would be similar to just heating and wait for the bubbles to rise naturally.  On the outside it appears to me that a step is being added with the same end result.  I'd like to read some responses.

If you are going to continue what was being done before with the same plastic then there is no question about having to degass. Many guys want it done. Is it another step yes for for you. Will it take time yes. Will it cost you more money to get the equipment to do it yes. But that is what it will take to carry on what was done before. I have been doing it for myself for years and for me it was a no brainer to get my own equipment. I have told anyone who wants to do it how to and even posted a picture of my set up here before. But some will not want to do it and it is up to you to acomidate them or send them to another supplier that does it for them. I don’t know what the sales ratios of degassed to standard sale were but if you don’t offer it then in my mind you are loosing out. 

You must be open to what others want and change if necessary. It is not weather you see a benefit in it it is if your customer does. Already on this post people have given another supplier that does this for them. Do you want to lose even more customers? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Frank said:

If you are going to continue what was being done before with the same plastic then there is no question about having to degass. Many guys want it done. Is it another step yes for for you. Will it take time yes. Will it cost you more money to get the equipment to do it yes. But that is what it will take to carry on what was done before. I have been doing it for myself for years and for me it was a no brainer to get my own equipment. I have told anyone who wants to do it how to and even posted a picture of my set up here before. But some will not want to do it and it is up to you to acomidate them or send them to another supplier that does it for them. I don’t know what the sales ratios of degassed to standard sale were but if you don’t offer it then in my mind you are loosing out. 

You must be open to what others want and change if necessary. It is not weather you see a benefit in it it is if your customer does. Already on this post people have given another supplier that does this for them. Do you want to lose even more customers? 

Thanks Frank, I appreciate the input and this is why I'm monitoring this thread.  Now that we've relocated into a much larger shop we'll have the needed space to degass.  I would point out this, for nearly 7 months many people were under the impression they were still acquiring Baitjunkies degassed when in fact they were getting poly sol that as far as I know wasn't.  In effect Fringe is in the process of getting back people who were use to Calhoun via Leonard.  Degassing is one of several avenues to achieve that.    Thanks again.

Edited by JBuff

5 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

FTR, that happened for about 2 weeks, not 7 months. when they took our name of it and rebranded BJ 200, they were using there own formula.

i ordered some baitjunkys from them in the begining of august, and again in september, and there was a definate difference in the plastics. but they were up front that they couldnt get the baitjunkys from the supplier, and that the new blend was their own stuff, said to be similar to baitjunkys.

2 hours ago, Les Young said:

i’ll be buying from JBuff next time myself. :yay:

For logistics purposes since we just relocated the first trial run of  Med should be delivered today or tomorrow, I completed the ramp for offloading yesterday.  1/2 of the drum is ordered so I still have some of it available.  I'll offer this up  2 single gallons $38.00 plus shipping until I run out on this particular drum.  PM me if your interested.