Ballin21

Float n Fly/small hair jig heads

For regular hair jigs it depends on where I'm using them and whether it is largemouth or smallmouth.  A 1/4oz hair jig for largemouth may has a 2/0 or even a 3/0 heavy wire hook.  The same type of jig in a 1/4oz foe smallmouth will probably have a light or standard wire hook in a 1/0 and the main reasons are do to the places I'm fishing for each one. For largemouth I know I'll be around brush so my tackle will be heavier with a 1/4oz jig. I will probably be using a medium power rod with 10# or 12# line. For smallmouth I'll be fishing rocks mostly and I'll be using lighter line, probably 6# with a medium power spinning rod. For me a 1/4oz hair jig for smallmouth is big, and that is because when I'm targeting smallmouth I'm usually fishing a river environment so the water will probably be high if I'm using that weight.  The lakes I fish for smallmouth have a dominate largemouth population and most areas you will catch both so I lean toward heavier jigs in those lakes. So you can probably tell by now that I get a little too specific but it works for me and gives me reason to make more jigs...LOL!! If you let me know how you intend to use the hair jigs you are going to make I can tell you what hook sizes I'd go with.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ballin21 said:

@smalljaw

Thank you for the in-depth response. I’m basically stuck in the same situation you are when it comes to hook choice because of large mouth/smallies. There is a couple lakes I fish and on any cast you could catch a large mouth/smallie. So, it kinda hard to say I’m going to target one or the other. 

Well then what you do is go by the type of cover and then the jig head you are going to use. If you are lucky you may have a head in which you can use a 2/0 heavy wire hook, I make a 1/4oz Arky head with a VMC 7161 2/0 heavy wire hook and it is killer. That allows me to fish the lakes with a mixed bag and be effective on both. I have the heavier hook for cover but the jig is still compact so it makes it effective in lower water temps and it is a size that both species will eat.

• Like 1