Erickson85

Jig mold decisions

Sorry if this has been asked before.  New to the site and so far have enjoyed what I’ve found.  I’m wanting to trying my hand at pouring jigs.   But I can’t decide which mold to get.   I’m a heavy rod 20# FC slack liner.   And I’ve noticed that the War Eagle Flipping jigs have that I’ve been using have a tendency to flex a little (I think TW says they are Mustad Ultra Points).  I’be been looking at the Arkie ARK-3-AFC mold.  But am worried about the same issues with the hooks as the War Eagle jig.   Do u guys think I need change it up to the Trokar Arkie mold or even the Brush jig mold.   Or is there a hook that fits a stock Ark -3-afc that will take a shock load better than the mustads?

thank you guys for the help.  I’ve been going back and forth on this for a while now.

1 hour ago, Erickson85 said:

Sorry if this has been asked before.  New to the site and so far have enjoyed what I’ve found.  I’m wanting to trying my hand at pouring jigs.   But I can’t decide which mold to get.   I’m a heavy rod 20# FC slack liner.   And I’ve noticed that the War Eagle Flipping jigs have that I’ve been using have a tendency to flex a little (I think TW says they are Mustad Ultra Points).  I’be been looking at the Arkie ARK-3-AFC mold.  But am worried about the same issues with the hooks as the War Eagle jig.   Do u guys think I need change it up to the Trokar Arkie mold or even the Brush jig mold.   Or is there a hook that fits a stock Ark -3-afc that will take a shock load better than the mustads?

thank you guys for the help.  I’ve been going back and forth on this for a while now.

I'm sure you will get a lot of replies here. BTW welcome to TU. Are you more concerned about a little flex, or are you bending the hooks out? I always read of guys bending hooks, and for the life of me I don't know how this happens, unless you are using aberdeen hooks. Anyway, as far as strong hooks go, the one I am using for one of my customers is a Mustad 32824 . This is a heavy hook. The 5/0 is .071 thick and the 4/0 is .067. This is a 60 degree regular eye hook, that would fit the likes of a Snootie Jig, Brush Jig, football jig and maybe a Arkie Jig. I don't know the model number of these molds off hand, but I can tell you that they would all have to be modified to accept this hook. This hook would be less costly than a Trokar hook. However, you will have to decide which way you want to go. I have never had an issue with a hook flexing. Are you losing fish?  If it were me, I would use a different hook set, but everyone fishes their own way. I am sure there are a few other strong hooks available and someone will chime in.

Edited by cadman

I guess it would be a little flex.  I don’t seem to be losing any fish because of it.  But I’ve noticed that after a couple catches the jig starts hanging up in a brush pile more than It was.   So I’ll get a new one out.   On some of them I’ve noticed the one I started out with has opened up a little compared to the new one

as for the hook set....I get really amped up when I’m flipping.   I tried changing my hookset. But when I get that bit I just get so excited and jack em.  I’ve started my mornings out trying to not hit em so hard but if that bites tough, we’ll its gonna happen.  So I even tried going to a softer rod last year.   Well I had a good one shake off that cost us some money.   So needless to say the big stick came back out.

Besides the hook look into using a stiffer weedguard as I bet it is weakening more than the hook after a few fish. They make several weights and most jigs just use the medium ones so try a heavy. As far as hooks personally I like a Gamakatsu 594 60degree 4/0 hook and use a 7-1 H with 20lb Floro. The only time I have bent one of these hooks was on a railroad tie the was sunk. Like Cadman I don't understand how people are bending out hooks unless they are fishing tackle that isn't balanced. 

Allen

Like Munkin said, I think it's probably the weedguard more than the hook.  After the weedguard bends a number of times it gets more flexible than when it was new.  Also, the weedguard material might be absorbing a tiny bit of water into the material, causing it to have more flex.

Everyone has given you good answers but I will throw my 2 cents in as well. If you like the Arky style jig, the Trokar Arky mold is the way to go,  I get the VMC 7161 hook for them and it is a good stout hook that I doubt you get flex even slack lining with 20# fluorocarbon. The Owner 5317 is another good one if you want a high end hook and there is always the Eagle Claw 786 or the Mustad 32786. The flex you get isn't due to the hook brand but the diameter of the hook .  All the hooks I mentioned are considered heavy wire hooks and should work well with a heavy power rod and 20# FC, and you learn to use alternative hook sets rather than slack lining you'll be amazed at how strong a standard wire hook is...LOL!!! Welcome to TU!!!!

• Like 1