shootermcbob

devcon 2T epoxy?

For some baits, I put glitter in the first coat of epoxy. I’ve found that with glitter there are usually some bumps in that coat. I lightly sand off the bumps and then apply a second coat of epoxy. I thin both coats slightly with denatured alcohol, the second a little more than the first. On baits without glitter, I usually do just one coat.

If the weight of a second coat is an issue, but you still want to add some glitter, mix it into some Createx transparent base, and brush it on.   Brush lightly, and be sure your paint job is really dry,  so you don't move the paint with your brush.  I find keeping the brush well loaded helps.  Once the transparent base has been dried with a hair dryer, you can add just one coat of D2T, and you're all set.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:05 AM, mark poulson said:

If the weight of a second coat is an issue, but you still want to add some glitter, mix it into some Createx transparent base, and brush it on.   Brush lightly, and be sure your paint job is really dry,  so you don't move the paint with your brush.  I find keeping the brush well loaded helps.  Once the transparent base has been dried with a hair dryer, you can add just one coat of D2T, and you're all set. 

I hope that I am learning by my mistakes, because I had three complete failures yesterday.  I have been trying to get a smoother top coat when using glitter.  On a bait, I did as Mark suggested and as I brushed on the transparent base with glitter mixed in - it  took the paint right off the bait.  I stripped the bait and tried again, but this time before adding the base with glitter, I sprayed on a couple of coats of transparent base, heat set them and then brushed on. Same results - even with a well loaded brush and gentle brush stokes, it took the paint right off.  Then I did something really stupid. I tried spraying the transparent base with glitter mixed in through my Iwata Eclipse airbrush. The glitter clogged up the nozzle.  I thought that I had ruined the nozzle, but was able to clean it out with a small sewing needle.  I normally epoxy baits right after I paint them. I heat set all coats and have not had a problem, but I wonder if I need to let them dry overnight, even after heat setting the paint.  Also, I reduced the base coat, which may have contributed to it taking off paint. Thoughts?