LucasJ

Painting spinner blades

I want to start painting my own spinner blades. I have no clue where to start...would I airbrush or powder coat. What would be the process? Do I need to do anything to prep the blade before painting? Starting out with brass French blades. Thanks for the help! 

Edited by LucasJ

Lucas,

Welcome to TU. If you go with an air brush, you will have to use a white base. Now you can either go with water base or lacquer paint. Water base is the easiest however durability is weak, and you will have to clear coat the blades with epoxy to keep the paint from coming off. If you go with lacquer, then a clear coat is not necessary, however you need very good ventilation, as lacquer paint really has a strong odor and not good for your lungs.

I powder paint all of my blades. It is the easiest and the most durable. If you want extra durability, you can clear coat the powder painted blade. Powder painting and clearcoat will add some weight to the blades, however I have never found any adverse effect to this.

If you powder paint, you will need powder paint, fluid bed if you are doing both sides, a toaster oven and a cooling rack. I can help you with a fluid bed tutorial. This is the simplified version.  If you search this forum, you will see many powder painted blades that I have done.  If you want some pics PM me your e-mail address.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LucasJ said:

Great info. Thank you!  One more question....say I powder coat and want to add some dots or stripes? How would I go about that? Paint pen? 

There are several ways you can add dots or stripes. Paint pen is one of them. You can also use colored electrical tape, and cut out the profile you want and stick it on the blade. You can use colored permanent markers, or stick on colored tape, pinstriping tape, or anything that will stick. If you are worried about it coming off, epoxy the finished surface with Devcon 2 Ton (D2T).

On 1/12/2019 at 8:01 PM, cadman said:

Lucas,

Welcome to TU. If you go with an air brush, you will have to use a white base. Now you can either go with water base or lacquer paint. Water base is the easiest however durability is weak, and you will have to clear coat the blades with epoxy to keep the paint from coming off. If you go with lacquer, then a clear coat is not necessary, however you need very good ventilation, as lacquer paint really has a strong odor and not good for your lungs.

I powder paint all of my blades. It is the easiest and the most durable. If you want extra durability, you can clear coat the powder painted blade. Powder painting and clearcoat will add some weight to the blades, however I have never found any adverse effect to this.

If you powder paint, you will need powder paint, fluid bed if you are doing both sides, a toaster oven and a cooling rack. I can help you with a fluid bed tutorial. This is the simplified version.  If you search this forum, you will see many powder painted blades that I have done.  If you want some pics PM me your e-mail address.

Ok, I’ve got what I need to make the fluid bed. So if I have this right, I heat the blade with a heat gun, dip into chosen paint/paints, apply dots, stripes or whatever with a template, allow to dry and cure in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 mins? Am I missing anything? 

3 minutes ago, LucasJ said:

Ok, I’ve got what I need to make the fluid bed. So if I have this right, I heat the blade with a heat gun, dip into chosen paint/paints, apply dots, stripes or whatever with a template, allow to dry and cure in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 mins? Am I missing anything? 

Sounds about right if you are going to apply everything with powder paint.

Clearcoat would be last step if you want extra protection.

19 hours ago, Rusty tanner said:

If I don't use powder paint how would I go about just strait painting them would I prime them by roughing them up then apply an acrylic then an appoxie finish or just a clear coat

Welcome to TU. If you are going to paint them, I would very lightly scuff them up and then wipe the blades off with alcohol. Depends on what color you are painting, If you are using an opaque, then you probably don't need a primer. But on light colors I would use a white base. I would also use lacquer paints if it were me. Then you don't have to use epoxy unless you want a more durable finish. JMO

I use finger nail polish to color blades.  I wipe them down with clean acetone, let it flash off, and then coat with the polish.  Most of the time I just add flash with Sally Hansen's "In The Spotlight" polish, which has mylar bits in a clear.  For dirty water, and low light, I add some white glow powder to a bottle of clear, and coat the concave side.  Once it's dried, I coat both sides with the "In The Spotlight" polish.  I figure the whole point of a lure is to get noticed so the more flash, the merrier.