Vodkaman

How do lips/bills work

Pete - I put myself in isolation around mid January, as 5M Chinese visit Indonesia every year, so an infection was inevitable.

The government numbers I suspect are nonsense, they are trying to protect the economy. They don't tell us where the infections are. There is no mandatory isolation, just weak advisories which everyone ignores.

In recent weeks people seem to be taking it more seriously which probably means there are infections here in Bandung. I simply don't know the true numbers.

I just did a fresh search for Bandung - 1 case, 0 deaths. What a joke with a population of 2.58M!

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman
16 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

Pete - I put myself in isolation around mid January, as 5M Chinese visit Indonesia every year, so an infection was inevitable.

The government numbers I suspect are nonsense, they are trying to protect the economy. They don't tell us where the infections are. There is no mandatory isolation, just weak advisories which everyone ignores.

In recent weeks people seem to be taking it more seriously which probably means there are infections here in Bandung. I simply don't know the true numbers.

I just did a fresh search for Bandung - 1 case, 0 deaths. What a joke with a population of 2.58M!

Dave

Be well and stay safe. 

Isolation works here in NorCal, along with masks, gloves, and hand washing.  I have a spray bottle of denatured alcohol I use to disinfect anything that someone else has handled, like packages and mail.

I was thinking of you today.  I made a wake bait, and it blew out on the retrieve, so I did a Dave, and shortened the lip until it became stable.  Thanks again.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Big Epp said:

What shape lips do you prefer to make/use?  I'm trying to make more lures with lips, but I struggle to make nicely curved lips.  So far I pretty much stick with square bills for simplicity...

I did a video that compared lip shapes. The difference between square and round was very minimal, so I prefer square, they are easier to produce and alignment is easier to visualize.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have found that, for me, rounded lips are more forgiving and easier to tune and fish on deeper diving lures than square bills.  I think maybe it's because deeper divers are more difficult to get right in general than shallow running square bill cranks, so I find rounding the lip makes that one less thing to worry about.  And I've found that a square bill will flip up a bait to vertical more consistently when it's burned into a piece of wood, so it's hooks are thrown up and over the wood,  where a rounded bill can roll the bait more to its side, allowing the hooks to snag.

• Like 1

Mark - I will bow to experience never having built a deep diver. I have only shallow waters available to me.

Deep divers are a complex lure, all about balance above and below the tow eye, so tow eye proportional positioning is everything. Deep diver theory needs to be a different thread, and all I can contribute is hypotheses, ideas.

Dave

• Like 2