Munkin

Tungsten/Epoxy jigheads

20190113-180335.jpgfree image host

So, to not hijack the titanium wire thread anymore I figured I would start another thread on tungsten. Here is a pic of a tungsten shakeyhead that I made using sithered tungsten powder and epoxy with some Lure Craft GP for the GP color. Tried to duplicate the Keitech jigheads but I cannot get the density correct.

Allen

• Like 1

I'm not sure what makes the Keitech heads different but I assumed all Tungsten was done the same way.  The hook is placed in a special mold and Tungsten powder along with nickel and/or copper is pushed into the mold under intense pressure that generates enough heat to melt the nickel and/or copper which binds the tungsten powder together. The process is called sintering, and as I mentioned before, I talked to someone who is familiar with Tungsten products and was told most Tungsten is done in low wage countries because it is a high cost process. I know Keitech Tungsten heads say made in Japan but they may follow a rule similar to the U.S. in which you can label imported products as made in country is the product is transformed in some way in this country.

So spinnerbait and most jigheads made of tungsten in two parts like the two halves of a through wire crankbait. The hooks and wire are then added and like you said they somehow fuse them together. The Keitech ones are different as they are a mixture of powdered tungsten with epoxy. If you hold a Keitech head they feel plastic instead of metal. I know they are not a solid piece of metal as I have chipped chunks out of them hitting pilings.

Allen

• Like 1