swampman

Wire and Colorado blade size

Your question is too vague. Are you talking a double Colorado spinnerbait and if so, which blade the clevis or swivel? Are you talking about a single Colorado spinnerbait and if that is the case are you using a bait with a hidden weight? How about wire diameter?  It may sound like I'm getting too deep into it but if you are talking about the Colorado blade on a clevis on a tandem bait with a willow on the swivel or even a double Colorado, the difference in size is enormous. Also, a hidden weight spinnerbait head is going to have blade sizes that are smaller than a standard frame and a heavy wire bait can accommodate an oversize blade which some people like to run, especially on 3/4oz and 1oz spinnerbaits.  I can help you but you need to be more specific in your question because your current question leads to more questions than answers.

• Like 1

Smalljaw is correct we need more info, and you need to dial in what you are trying to achieve. There is a lot of info on the i-net. Here is a link I have used in the past. https://www.tacklecrafting.com/baits/wb_size_chart/

There are a lot of other sources out  there. Single Colorado, double Colorado etc.

BTW welcome to TU.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1

I have modified my poison jig mold to accept .041 wire, want to make 3/4 oz and 1  oz  spinner baits , with double colorado , and also single colorado, will also make willow leaf with colorado on the clevis. OH and do you use a 5/0 or 4/0 hook ?  Thank you 

Edited by swampman

There you go...LOL!!!!  3/4oz PT spinnerbait with .041 wire, that will be a 5/0 hook.  For a single Colorado I'd use a #7 and for the double Colorado I'd go with a #6 on the swivel and a #3.5 or #4 on the clevis.  Willow leaf and Colorado would be a #6 or #7 willow with a #3.5 or #4 Colorado.  My general rule of thumb when it comes to spinnerbait blades is this,  a double willow leaf blade the blade on the clevis is usually 1/2 to 1 full size smaller than the swivel blade. On a double Colorado bait the blade on the clevis is 2 to 2.5 sizes smaller than the swivel blade. On a bait with an Indiana on the swivel and Colorado on the clevis the Colorado on the clevis is 2.5 to 3 sizes smaller than the swivel blade. That is just my general rule, you can adjust for more or less vibration or flash.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smalljaw said:

There you go...LOL!!!!  3/4oz PT spinnerbait with .041 wire, that will be a 5/0 hook.  For a single Colorado I'd use a #7 and for the double Colorado I'd go with a #6 on the swivel and a #3.5 or #4 on the clevis.  Willow leaf and Colorado would be a #6 or #7 willow with a #3.5 or #4 Colorado.  My general rule of thumb when it comes to spinnerbait blades is this,  a double willow leaf blade the blade on the clevis is usually 1/2 to 1 full size smaller than the swivel blade. On a double Colorado bait the blade on the clevis is 2 to 2.5 sizes smaller than the swivel blade. On a bait with an Indiana on the swivel and Colorado on the clevis the Colorado on the clevis is 2.5 to 3 sizes smaller than the swivel blade. That is just my general rule, you can adjust for more or less vibration or flash.

Thank you so much, I'm heading to the printer now !! Lol... I'll be ordering parts today!!!