clemmy

Drilling Dowel for Tail Hanger

For those of you that are using a hardwood dowel glued in for the tail hook hanger, how are you drilling the hole in the dowel.? I’ve been drilling, but it’s kind of slow and cumbersome trying to drill it out in the center. Just was hoping someone had a slick idea/method/jig to make it a bit easier and efficient. I know another option would be to use the plastic inserts, but would rather stick with wood.

Thanks,

Craig

Jig the way to go.  Doesn't have to be too complicated either.  

Personally would just take two pieces of wood and make and L with them then attach it to a base.  The round dowel will nestle in the corner and be supported vertically by your jig.  The base should clamp to your drill press table and positioned so the drill bit will be centered on the dowel.   I would just hold the dowel in place with my thumb and drill knock them out in short order.   With this set up can knock a bunch out quick.

You can also make a holder similar to a lead weigh mold out of wood.  Just drill a slightly smaller diameter circle than your dowel.  Use a hinge on one end and can open and close the handle to hold the piece.  Will still need to make a stop system to register the holder so always center.  The first option just much easier and quicker. 

Edited by Travis

I would make a jig for this job. You could probably do 10 dowels at a time.

1 - two identical blocks of a hard wood fixed together with locating pins.

2 - drill series of pilot holes down the join face.

3 - drill dowel holes to correct depth for length.

The obvious problem with this jig; is the dowel slug rotating during pilot drilling. I would fix this by coating the dowel holes with contact adhesive or other rubber cement to add grip.

Insert the dowel blanks, close and clamp the jig. Drill the centre holes with a hand drill or drill press.

A jig can also be made for cutting the dowels to the correct length; a simple block with a dowel hole. An additional small through hole for an ejector pin.

Clamp block in bench vice, insert dowel, cut with hacksaw, eject with pin (nail).

Dave