Elf

Tube Molds

Sooner or later I want to make tube baits as well as the other stuff I'm making now.

When it comes to molds (I'm not sure I want to hand dip, but we'll see) I think I'd rather have molds with inserts that make the skirt for me as opposed to cutting them. Cutting them seems like it would be tedious beyond measure.

What do you guys think of cutting tails vs molds with inserts?

that lure molds with inserts are easier to use. I haven't seen a multi cavity with inserts though - so your time investment will likely be the same. Someone that knows more than me will chime in hopefully.

I have bee working on a collet style tail cutter to replace the rotary tube jig cutter I typically use, pretty far down on the old project list, though.

Enforcer just put up a 4 cavity mold with inserts.

Angling AI has a multiple cavity mold but I think you have to cut the tails manually.

Do-It has  an interesting setup, single cavity molds with 3 different types of inserts for the skirts and interchangeable rods. Expensive to setup up to make but it doesn't seem like it should be any more time consuming than shooting a bunch of single cavity crawdad molds. Of course, I've been wrong before...  :lol:

11 minutes ago, Elf said:

Enforcer just put up a 4 cavity mold with inserts.

Angling AI has a multiple cavity mold but I think you have to cut the tails manually.

Do-It has  an interesting setup, single cavity molds with 3 different types of inserts for the skirts and interchangeable rods. Expensive to setup up to make but it doesn't seem like it should be any more time consuming than shooting a bunch of single cavity crawdad molds. Of course, I've been wrong before...  :lol:

Thanks for the correction! not well versed outside of my own little bubble.

I have done it both ways.  Cutting is for the birds.  I like to shoot them with the skirts made.  I started out with 2 single cavity molds but that was not enough so I bought 2 more.  4 is barely enough and I am only making for myself.  A multi cavity mold or 2 would be nice.

• Like 1

I prefer the shoot and cut style, I just like the end product a little better, just my preference though, as the shot skirts look good too, I just like the randomness of the cut skirts.

i have the angling ai 2.75 double dipper and their tail cutter, the mold is awesome, and the tail cutter works great.  Also being a 5 cavity mold, you can make a bunch in short order, I bought 2 sets of extra rods but I think 1 extra would be plenty, shoot, pull them out, shoot again and pull the first ones off the rods while the 2nd is cooking, rinse repeat!

• Like 1

I got tired of cutting them by hand with the lurecraft cutter. So I went to Harbor Frieght and purchased a Arbor Press. It was on sale for around $40. A bass club buddy owns a machine shop. He attached the blade block to the press. Also made it removable. I have not picked it up from him yet or tried it,  but it should make cutting go much much easier and quicker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rynesgto said:

I got tired of cutting them by hand with the lurecraft cutter. So I went to Harbor Frieght and purchased a Arbor Press. It was on sale for around $40. A bass club buddy owns a machine shop. He attached the blade block to the press. Also made it removable. I have not picked it up from him yet or tried it,  but it should make cutting go much much easier and quicker.

I'd like to see some pics of that when you get it.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:34 PM, hpssports said:

CNC Molds N Stuff has 6 cavity tube molds now in three different body sizes. I've been using the medium body molds for about a week now & they shoot great.  Also the best price I've found.

I really like the looks of that & i cut my tails anyway so looks like this will probably be my next mold.