azsouth

Amazon KBS clear coat yellow tint

1 hour ago, AZ Fisher said:

My old KBS  turned that color when it got old, my recent can from LPO was the clear stuff and I had to destroy the can to get it open.  Hadn't heard of a new formula, when was this released, anyone know?

Its been floating around the facebook groups for probably 3-4 months, someone eventually contacted KBS and they said it was a new formula that has better stabilizers for long term storage... how new and if its still the newest I have no idea. The can also opens easily on the yellow stuff. There was also a bad batch of KBS I've heard talked about, but it was supposed to be removed from shelves, I'm not sure what the exact issue with it was. 

it seems that the people at KBS are unwilling or unable to answer this simple question.

is the yellowing a new formula or a bad batch?

I personally don't like the run around, yet they still claim clear as water.

they also stated that the yellow tint is a uv stabilizer.

so is it a new formula or a bad batch?

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

Here are the responses to my ?,  from the KBS help desk at KBS.com:

" Has your Diamond clear been recently reformulated? In some fishing forums, reports of new yellowish tinted Diamond Clear have been popping up. My Diamond Clear from a couple years ago yellowed when older.  my recent can from Oct. was crystal clear. Rumor is the new formula is more shelf stable but has a yellow tint to it. If it's still Diamond Clear, why does it have a yellow tint. Could you please set me straight on this matter, thank you for your time, Will "

Kbs help desk response, "Thank you for contacting KBS.... Yes DiamondFinish Clear can sometimes appear slightly yellow when looking at it in the can.  The slight yellow is a UV Stabilizer enhancement. You will never see the slight yellow when the product is actually applied at the 5-10 mils Dry Film Thickness as it will appear completely clear even over a brilliant white surface.  Thanks for contacting KBS..."

My follow up response:

"Thanks for your reply.  So this isn't a new formula,  just a UV enhancer turning yellow or is it now being produced new,  from the factory with a yellow tint?   Thanks again,   Will"

KBS response:

"Yes, it is the same Diamondfinish Clear formula with a UV enhancer. We have tested it extensively and you can not see it once it has been applied and cured. That said, we may take this enhancement away because it does seem to cause confusion for customers when they see it in the can. Thank you so much..."

I guess it depends on how you look at their response. I feel I asked twice if the new stuff was being produced with a yellow tint, with no clear answer other than don't mind the man behind the curtain. In the grand scheme I guess a little yellow doesn't matter much... but it used to be clear, is advertised as crystal clear and now isn't. I guess it's up to the individual consumer if it's cool with them, lots of stuff out there.

Forgive me if I seem cynical, been dealing with double talking health ins industry people, well you know...