badhatharry

Powder Painting

OK,  I finally got set up and  painted a couple batches of jigs and spinnerbaits.  They actually turned out pretty well and now I want to take it a step further.  So what is the best way to add a second or even third accent color to a jig/spinnerbait that has been powder painted?  How about adding eyes?  Are they stuck on and then epoxied over or .....?   Thanks

19 minutes ago, badhatharry said:

OK,  I finally got set up and  painted a couple batches of jigs and spinnerbaits.  They actually turned out pretty well and now I want to take it a step further.  So what is the best way to add a second or even third accent color to a jig/spinnerbait that has been powder painted?  How about adding eyes?  Are they stuck on and then epoxied over or .....?   Thanks

Welcome to TU. There are several ways to add multiple colors.  There is the brush tap method and the other is using an air brush. I do the brush tap method. It is pretty simple. I put a base coat  of powder with a fluid bed. Then I take all my other colors and  apply them on by dipping an artist brush into the powder paint and then tapping it onto a hot jig. It takes some practice to get what you want, but it works for me.  I also have a basic tutorial if  you want. PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you.

Smalljaw, was the one that started airbrushing powder on TU way back in the day. He will be on here to give you some pointers if that is the way you want to go.

2d or 3d eyes. I use WTP (Witch Tape Products) eyes exclusively. They have the best adhesive on them to hold the eye in place. Most of the guys here use some kid of clear epoxy or nail polish to keep the eyes from coming off once they are applied.

You will get a lot of info here from others.

Edited by cadman

53 minutes ago, cadman said:

Welcome to TU. There are several ways to add multiple colors.  There is the brush tap method and the other is using an air brush. I do the brush tap method. It is pretty simple. I put a base coat  of powder with a fluid bed. Then I take all my other colors and  apply them on by dipping an artist brush into the powder paint and then tapping it onto a hot jig. It takes some practice to get what you want, but it works for me.  I also have a basic tutorial if  you want. PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you.

Smalljaw, was the one that started airbrushing powder on TU way back in the day. He will be on here to give you some pointers if that is the way you want to go.

2d or 3d eyes. I use WTP (Witch Tape Products) eyes exclusively. They have the best adhesive on them to hold the eye in place. Most of the guys here use some kid of clear epoxy or nail polish to keep the eyes from coming off once they are applied.

Harry, take him up on his offer.  He a magician with powder coating.

3 hours ago, cadman said:

Thank You,  PM on the way. 

Cadman can do the brush/tap method so well it looks like it was airbrushed!!!   I however am not so good so I found using a Badger hobby sandblaster worked better for me. The sandblaster I use is a Badger model 260 and is the same thing being sold as the "powder paint airbrush" now and I think it is a little misleading. I say that because you can't do fine detail with it, or with powder in general but it does allow you to blend the colors really well, I'm going to post a link to a video I did on how to use the spray method and like anything else it does take some practice but no matter how you decide to try it you need to be patient and practice. 

Can't go wrong on this site. These wise men steered me to several tools and shortcuts making stuff. Kind of a creators/inventor's knowledge pool. 

I now have some tapping brushes with (Cadman), a Badger hobby airbrush and a Griffin Odyssey Spider(Smalljaw) and always helpful and supportive comments from Mr. Poulson. Btw Mark, I think I saw something posted on another forum about a Tracker boat. I had one too! I just wish I had it in California.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 3:04 AM, smalljaw said:

Cadman can do the brush/tap method so well it looks like it was airbrushed!!!   I however am not so good so I found using a Badger hobby sandblaster worked better for me. The sandblaster I use is a Badger model 260 and is the same thing being sold as the "powder paint airbrush" now and I think it is a little misleading. I say that because you can't do fine detail with it, or with powder in general but it does allow you to blend the colors really well, I'm going to post a link to a video I did on how to use the spray method and like anything else it does take some practice but no matter how you decide to try it you need to be patient and practice. 

What do you set your PSI at?  Thanks