andyscott

solarez homemade eyes

hi guys,

New to the forum.  Does anyone have any advice on doing homemade eyes with solarez uv resin? I once did them successfully by pouring solarez into old pill trays and they were crystal clear.

I recently tried again but they are now coming out cloudy and I have no idea why.  The only thing that has changed is that it's winter and I'm working in the garage so it's quite a bit colder.

44 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Two things come to mind..Yes it could be the temperature..or is it the same Solarez you’ve used in the past?..Is it possible it has gone bad?..Nathan

Maybe I’ll put the tin of  solarez in boiling water for a while before putting it under the nail lamp.

surely not went bad. Only had it 2-3 months 

When I found out that Solarez has enough surface tension to make a dome over a hole, I drilled a 1/4" diameter hole, 1/8" deep, in my PVC frogs, painted the inside of the hole with glo paint, and then dripped Solarez into the hole until it had made a raised dome.  Then I held it under my nail light box for five minutes, because it was thick, and I wound up with glow in the dark eyes with a convex top, almost like an eyeball.   It really looks neat at night, and the fish like it, too.

1 hour ago, Nathan said:

That is sweet Mark..post a picture of it!!..Nathan

There are some in the gallery.  I'll see if I can find them.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/profile/14932-mark-poulson/content/?type=gallery_image&page=4

This doesn't show the convex top, but it shows the glow.

I hope you can see it.  I'm obviously not a computer person.  Hahaha