Cole's Customs

Plastic transfer

I just leave mine in the five gallon bucket. When I need some plastisol, I mix it with a paint mixer and a cordless drill while being sure to scrape the bottom good. I then get the amount that I need with a measuring cup. I originally transferred the 5 gallon bucket to gallon jugs but found out quickly that breaking up hard packed material in the bottom of a gallon jug through a 1 inch opening wasn't much fun. I cut the tops off of the jugs, stirred the packed material back into suspension and poured them all back into the 5 gallon bucket. Not a ounce of trouble since.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DoubleT said:

I just leave mine in the five gallon bucket. When I need some plastisol, I mix it with a paint mixer and a cordless drill while being sure to scrape the bottom good. I then get the amount that I need with a measuring cup. I originally transferred the 5 gallon bucket to gallon jugs but found out quickly that breaking up hard packed material in the bottom of a gallon jug through a 1 inch opening wasn't much fun. I cut the tops off of the jugs, stirred the packed material back into suspension and poured them all back into the 5 gallon bucket. Not a ounce of trouble since.

I get gallon jugs with wide mouths.  

Larry Hoag, of Soft Plastic Bait Mold Makers, suggested using a metal whisk, chucked in a cordless drill, to mix plastic that has separated or hard packed.  The key is a long enough whiskto reach the bottom of the gallon bottle,  being able to push it down through the bottle's opening, and then being able to get it back out.  He actually cut the whisk wires at the very bottom of their loop, so they would fit down the bottle's neck.

Edited by mark poulson

8 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Larry Hoag, of Soft Plastic Bait Mold Makers, suggested using a metal whisk, chucked in a cordless drill, to mix plastic that has separated or hard packed.  The key is a long enough whiskto reach the bottom of the gallon bottle,  being able to push it down through the bottle's opening, and then being able to get it back out.  He actually cut the whisk wires at the very bottom of their loop, so they would fit down the bottle's neck.

I use a coat hanger made into an L with the bottom being doubled and about a 1" gap.  It has been working for about 20 years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cole's Customs said:

man! that looks like a pretty good one, the one I ordered was 10, shouldn't have been so impatient lol.

It does really well. They offer two different lengths. The longer one works great for a 5 gallon bucket. The other thing that I really like about it is the paddles are made of very rigid plastic. It really does well at breaking up any hard packed material while not tearing up the bottom of the plastic bucket. Im sure there are other really good ones out there but I cant say anything negative about this one at all. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 12:45 PM, DoubleT said:

Lol. I have the exact same routine. 

• Like 2