RiverMan

Etex-have you had this happen?

Jed,

There's probably a quicker way, but i just use a clean rag and a handy solvent--I'm currently using a citrus cleaner, but I've also used alcohol, acetone, Simple Green, my wife's non-acetone polish remover, (got busted on that one), you get the picture. You'll be amazed at what comes off of those little guys; enough to mar a nice paint job in some cases (wanna guess how I know?) :pissed:

Dean

You guys are awesome! Between all of your answers I would have spent literally a solid year figuring this stuff out. As you guys know I spend "alot" of time here, it's my fav spot and still I learn something nearly every day.

Corey,

Guess what....you were EXACTLY right, my "misfit" bait that I drilled the holes in and tossed in the water......it split along the belly sometime today. The photo image is just fine but water went in through the bottom screw eye that was just a hole, no screw, and expanded the wood, Etex split, lights out!

I always use a sealer on my baits but if water gets in through the screw eye hole...too bad. I have heard that some guys use hardwoods for just this reason, they are less prone to swelling. I found this to be true with mahogany but went away from it as it got too expensive to buy.

Jed

Jed,

You are not the Lone Ranger. I had the same thing happen to a balsa bait. I think I put a post on here called Devcon Failure about it. It was not because of a drilled hole, it was because of a small pin hole that formed where the lip joins the body. I did not catch it and water got to the bait. The wood swelled ant the clearcoat cracked. It doesn't matter whether you use hardwood or balsa or what ever, water getting to the wood will swell the wood and crack the clearcoat or destroy the paint in some fashion. Whether it does it sooner or later doesn't matter. The bottom line is that something failed. It was really hard on me because I had never had any of my baits fail due to workmanship before that bait. I just had to suck it up and fix it. You do good work. I'm glad that the problem was found. And I will bet that it won't happen again either. Will it?

Skeeter

Skeeter,

I was glad to see you put such good input on this. 8O I bet it was hard not coming back and saying it was the E-tex. I bet you are just shaking like a smoker that has not had a cig in three day. :P:P I am just joking Skeeter. I love your work! One of these days we will get you hooked on E-tex. :twisted:

Jed,

To me everyday is a learning experience. I don?t think there is a 100% way anybody can fix this problem. Unless you use railroad tie?s or green treat wood. If you do you will create another problem. The only thing you can do is your best on sealing with the topcoat. Then you are going to get those teeth in the bait sooner or later.

How long did he have the bait?

-Corey

1 spliting out of a hundred would be a great rate to work for.

This would be the mass produce rate, that I find.

Really higher with some of the plastic baits out there.

They do dot run and can not be tuned right out of the box.

I bet your batting a better average than that.

I know the pride you put in to your baits Jed.

You would not send it if the action was not to your liking.

They are master pieces and your doing the best you can with them.

I do not think you will lose a single customer with 1 faliure.

And I know you will stand behind them alll the way.

When you get that first muskie on one, only then will you under stand the pressures that bait with stands.

And northerns once they are in the boat .......

There is nothing as wild to compare it to, that I know of.

Also remember that some of these water wolf hunters will

flip a 10+ northern up with the rod to get in the boat.

"A day I do not learn some thing, is a day closer to death."

Jed,

The guys are right..It's vurtually impossible to build a bait that these critters couldn't tear up the finish,and paint..(unless of course it was built from steel,and I still wouldn't bet on it!!).

If you look in the boxes of seasoned Muskie,and Pike hunters you'll notice their "go too" baits are torn all to he--. I know as a Muskie fisherman my lures are going to get torn up..as a lure builder, thats a hard pill to swallow..Nathan

Skeeter,

I certainly hope it won't happen again although I fully expect it will at some point, it's inevitable I'm afraid when you dealing with a freshwater shark! After speaking with some of the guys that buy my baits in the last couple of days I now feel alot better. Guys have been telling me that many all of the top baits they have develop problems over time.

Corey,

I asked the guy several questions that Rich posted and he has yet to answer, he travels alot with his job. I will fill you guys in when I know more.

Nathan,

It's not the "tore up" that worries me, it's the unraveling of the finish, that's spooky!

Rich,

I hear what you are saying and hope at some point hope to hook one of the beasts!

Thanks!

jed

Jed, you always have a worm welcome at my place. I would love to hook you up with a big fat pig (Muskie) :lol: .

This is the best time of the year. So jump on the plane, I have the boat running! :wink: I know the fish you are talking about in the photo of Muskie Hunter. I know the lake and the spot it was caught. It is one of my #1 lakes.

-Corey

Jed,

If at all possible I would reccomend you put all scew eyes in the bait before coating. I know other baitmakers here in W.Va. that use screw eyes and all of them insert the eyes first. Its takes a little more effort because you have to drill out the eyes but it is definitely worth it. I use wire myself but am thinking about going to eyes because of time constraints. Or maybe cotter pins for the middle eyes. Also you are 100% correct for using 3 coats of ET. I have never had a bait to fail( other than been broken finish on rocks) with 3 coats just from water contact. Here is something I have been doing. When I get my baits complete I run a entire bathtub full of water. Soak the baits for a day or so. Thanks, Mark

Muskie 1958,

I think you are entirely correct in suggesting that I have all the screw eyes in before sealing. I do have two of them in before sealing, the front and back, but the middle eye I generally just glue in after the fact. My dryer is set up to hold the baits in the bottom screw eye but I could modify this set-up with some effort. Your suggestion is right on though and I really need to make that move.

Thanks for the offer Corey, may take you up on that someday. Can you believe that beast in the picture, that's unreal!

Thanks again everyone!

Jed