fishon-son

3 d printer

First job will be to get up to speed on CAD.

I think stencils could be possible; in CAD, offset from the body surface. draw the cutouts on a plane, project the cut-outs through the offset, and subtract.

There will likely be a lot of clean-up after printing the stencil as the printer software will create a lot of support structure, you cannot 3D print in mid space.

Dave

I have never heard of stencils done on a 3d printer.  At work we use the 3d printer to build actual 3d  parts so we can have a working prot-type. This proto-type is used for form, fit and function. We also have a "Cricuit" cutter, which we use to make profiles of car, head and various other types of gaskets. I think the "Cricuit cutter can easily be used to make stencils. You take or draw your image and the machine cuts the profile for you. Like Vodkaman said, you will need to obtain a cad package and then learn how to use it. Making the image is the easy part learning the cad software will be more of a challenge. Good Luck.

Got one myself recently as well and it's been running pretty much constantly since mid December and I have yet to make anything fishing related :(.   

There are a couple of interesting items on Thingiverse like a wopper ploper  I am thinking the tail would be best printed out of a flexible filament

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3196383

1 hour ago, aulrich said:

Got one myself recently as well and it's been running pretty much constantly since mid December and I have yet to make anything fishing related :(.   

There are a couple of interesting items on Thingiverse like a wopper ploper  I am thinking the tail would be best printed out of a flexible filament

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3196383

I am assuming you "Got one myself recently as well) are referring to  a 3d printer? If so I did not think you could print flexible material with those.

Edited by cadman

Flexible filaments are available  unfortunately there is a but.   Lot's of the lower end 3d Printers and that includes mine don't handle flexible filaments well if at all.  The distance between the extruder drive and what is called the "Hot End" the nozzle that actually heats and deposits the plastic is pretty long (on mine it is close to 12") the drive and hot end are connected by a close fitting Teflon tube , and yes it can resemble trying to play pool with a rope :).  As I understand it there are ways I can mitigate that problem,  so I can print at least the harder of the flexible filaments.  The theory is to make the plopper tail just soft enough that it does not interfere with hook set or bust off if you hit a rock, 

For me I was thinking it could be most useful printing lure lips and mold masters.  you could print a lure but it's so slow it's likely not that worth it short of proto typing a shape. 

Edited by aulrich
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aulrich said:

Flexible filaments are available  unfortunately there is a but.   Lot's of the lower end 3d Printers and that includes mine don't handle flexible filaments well if at all.  The distance between the extruder drive and what is called the "Hot End" the nozzle that actually heats and deposits the plastic is pretty long (on mine it is close to 12") the drive and hot end are connected by a close fitting Teflon tube , and yes it can resemble trying to play pool with a rope :)

Well this is very new to me. I will have to see if our 3d printer has this capability. Thank You for all the info.:yay:

I have been playing with a stencil project for the baits that I make and for repaint purposes. first test prints so I am getting close, gotta thin the shell down and make the alignment tabs a bit thicker.  What baits are you wanting to make stencils for?? K/O baits or for your own baits?

strncil1MoBetta.jpg

strncil1MoBettaMM.jpg

Edited by blackjack
typo
  • Like 3