JohnJohnIV

Soft Plastic dye

I'm new to making my own baits and have a question about coloring the plastic before I shoot it into my mold.  I bought some dye from alumilite at hobby lobby, I believe it's coloring for a diy mold itself and not for the plastic you shoot into a mold. I could be wrong. The reason I don't think they're what I'm after is that I'll mix two colors together and whichever color is darker is what it stays as.

So my question is... I know it's a definite newbie question, where can I get dye for soft plastic (The stuff I'm using is alumisol. If there's any relevance in that)?  Not the dye you dip your baits in, that seems to be the only type that comes up in my searches. I suppose just clarification on what type and/or brand of dye is suitable for what we're doing.

The word dye may be causing your problem.  Colorant is the term that will probably get you better results.  Go to Lurecraft or Jann's netcraft and you can see many choices.  Look at the plastic cook book here on this site and it will give you a lot of good recipes.  Being new you might learn a few things from Don'ts for Newbies also on this site.

Another thing I might add is if you look towards the top, there is a sticky entitled, "List of lure mold companies."  Many of those companies also sell colors, glitter, and another additives you might need.  There is a huge selection of companies you can try now.  When I poured, there were maybe 2.  LOL

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Les Young said:

Soft plastic colorant is what you want. Look up  lureworks soft plastic colorant. That will give you an idea of what you’re looking for. 

Lureworks uses the word colorant to identify a non-bleed color and dye to identify a color that will bleed. 

• Thanks 1