bassmaster0726

KBS on lipless baits

Bubbles in KBS usually mean the paint still had moisture when you dipped. It's causing the reaction at the surface of the lure instead of from the outside and making a bubble. It can be really bad on balsa baits that were not sealed properly before painting.  My first 2 did this, then I read on facebook about what was causing it and started leaving my baits to dry fully overnight before dipping. I have a dehumidifier in my painting area so its at 50% humidity. 

As for hanging lipless, I hang them by the line tie and let the excess drip off the rear of the bait. It will collect at the hook hanger and you can knock off the last few drops from between the hanger and the tail before it starts to set.  After 12-15 hours or so I clean the hook hangers of excess with an exacto knife and then hang by the tails to cure on the curing racks.. usually 3-4 days or a week unless they need hooks sooner for some reason. 

• Like 1

I agree with azsouth about pooling.  I favor hanging the lure in a position so all excess can drip off the tail.  My lure turner runs at 6 rpm which is too slow to prevent MCU from pooling, or else I am too slow getting the lure on the turner so the MCU has already pooled some somewhere before I get it on there. 

Bubbles have been a problem with kbs since they brought this to market. I know many have called kbs themselves and have hear dozens of reasons why it bubbles, none of which I believe other than to echo what others have found that it will only bubble where it puddles. 

Some have said reduce it, this just makes a thinner coat and imo reduces the likelyhood of this bubbling happening. 

Some woods will hold air, sometimes paid will outgas for a long time, but none of these appear to be the culprit here. Bubble Buster was brought to the market for amine epoxy/rod finish some years ago for this same problem. I think it's gone now so doubt can be tried nor do I feel confident it would work here. 

I think kbs needs to come up with a solution for this and more would use their product. 

Painting a kick ass bait then having it ruined by bubbles really sucks. 

I've only dipped a couple of plastic KO crankbaits in KBS, and I didn't have a problem with bubbles.

I dipped slowly, so all the details got filled, and removed them slowly, checking to see if air was trapped anywhere.

I hung them to drip over my workbench, and removed the bottom drip with a paper towel until it couldn't be removed anymore.  If there were bubbles, they must have been down in the bottom drip, and that got removed with the paper towel.

Of course, it is entirely possible that I just didn't see them, even though I had my glasses on.  Hahaha

I have had issues with bubbles in KBS when dipping plastic baits and most times it was on baits with scale detail. I found when I am dipping multiple baits the KBS itself gets bubbles in it from the air trapped within the detail. Only solution I found is to dip slowly but when doing multiple baits each time this may effect the overall KBS shelf life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1