normans

under spins

One of the things that I hear about Do-IT  molds under spins is that the wire going to the blade is too short . The blade hits the swim bait body when moving through the water . The blade will also hit the body of a fluke  I would think that would not be the desired action. So my question is what is the fix, or I could be all wet on this , I have made several underspins for friends and they have told me the had to put their fluke on upside down to keep the blade working right .

I pour the Do-It underspins which my wife uses with the standard clip and a willow blade. She uses a Berkley havoc as a trailer. She catches a lot of fish on it when the bass are chasing. So I don't know what the issues is. You can make your own wireform, with a longer leg and pour it that way.

• Like 1

I believe the swim bait trailer that this friend of mine uses has a belly that drops down quite a bit   and the blade hits that part of the lure . It does the same thing with a zoom fluke according the him. I have tried it on a zoom fluke and it does hit the belly of the fluke . I am using the standard willow blades and inserts or wires . I am not opposed to making my own wires , it is the mod on the mold that worries me . I have never  tried to  mod a mold before.

7 minutes ago, normans said:

I believe the swim bait trailer that this friend of mine uses has a belly that drops down quite a bit   and the blade hits that part of the lure . It does the same thing with a zoom fluke according the him. I have tried it on a zoom fluke and it does hit the belly of the fluke . I am using the standard willow blades and inserts or wires . I am not opposed to making my own wires , it is the mod on the mold that worries me . I have never  tried to  mod a mold before.

You don't have to mod the mold at all, just make a longer leg, that comes out of the belly of the mold. You have a PM.

• Like 1

My underspin is a modified ultra minnow mold.  I actually like having the blade close to the body of a soft plastic because of how I fish them. I found that burning them isn't that effective but instead a steady retrieve , what I call a normal pace. I have the most success in Fall with water temps in the mid to low 50s, I reel the bait close to bottom so that the blade will just barely tick the bottom every so often. Now with my bait having the blade close to the body if I reel too fast the blade will ride up and hit the trailer and I know I'm going too fast, it is like having the bait with a built in speed limiter.  There is another reason I don't like the blade hanging low, short striking fish! I have noticed that when fish are really neutral that they will often hit the blade and I believe that is why the underspin works so well at times. With the blade being just under the trailer the fish normally will get the hook but on baits with low hanging blades the blade gets hit without hook ups, it is another reason I want that blade to be close to the body. So slow down your underspin, you'll thank me later.

• Thanks 1

Smalljaw, my underspin is a modified ultra minnow mold also. I like the way the blade is close to the body too.  When I first got the mold that was what I bought it for. It was super easy to convert. I have caught some nice bass on that bait. It's about the only bait my son-in law fishes. He uses a paddle tail swimbait on the back.  I  bought the do-it version of the underspin, but I don't like it nearly as well as the ultra minnow modified.

• Like 1