Jimmyjigs

Hand Painted Eyes

Although it would be less expensive to paint on eyes, I like stick on eyes. Since I sell my jigs, I don't think my painting skills would make my jigs look good. I like my jigs to look perfect and by applying stick on eyes, this works for me. However, for my own personal use, I don't use any eyes on my jigs. I never found that to be detrimental to my fish catching ability. Eyes on a jig  to many fishermen is a big selling point.

• Like 1

I hand paint eyes using a drill bit set and then bake them on, but I am thinking of getting the freestyle mold to make some 'mooneye' jigs with the 3d stick on eyes just because I like the way they look.  Get decent eyes by hand though, and when I botch one I just wipe it off and go again.  Maybe fish don't care, but I do :D.

It depends on which jig and how much I want to dress the bait up. For instance, I use the Shad head rig jig for my umbrella rigs and I hand paint those eyes on those jigs. When I make these jigs, I do large runs of 50-75 jigs in several different sizes. I use a product from Columbia Coatings called water powder and mix my powder in it for my colorant. Dot the eyes on with an appropriate sized drill bit and bake.

Edited by Apdriver
  • Like 1

I don’t know if it is better or not but was my experience using regular paint on top of powder the colors would wash out when you baked the eyes. With the powder water you can heat set the first color for ten minutes, paint the powder color for the eyes and then set the whole bait. The colors will stay true and not wash out. I’ll try to put a pic or two in the gallery. Not able to upload and attach to this thread. Tried several times. 

Added a couple pics in the gallery under jigs of two examples that have powder water eyes. I hate we have to jump through hoops to help someone out on this forum.

Edited by Apdriver
Content
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Apdriver said:

I don’t know if it is better or not but was my experience using regular paint on top of powder the colors would wash out when you baked the eyes. With the powder water you can heat set the first color for ten minutes, paint the powder color for the eyes and then set the whole bait. The colors will stay true and not wash out. I’ll try to put a pic or two in the gallery. Not able to upload and attach to this thread. Tried several times. 

Added a couple pics in the gallery under jigs of two examples that have powder water eyes. I hate we have to jump through hoops to help someone out on this forum.

Off the subject, but do you need a license to drive aps?

On 2/2/2019 at 7:33 AM, cadman said:

Although it would be less expensive to paint on eyes, I like stick on eyes. Since I sell my jigs, I don't think my painting skills would make my jigs look good. I like my jigs to look perfect and by applying stick on eyes, this works for me. However, for my own personal use, I don't use any eyes on my jigs. I never found that to be detrimental to my fish catching ability. Eyes on a jig  to many fishermen is a big selling point.

Cadman, I agree with you completely. Since I fish with all my mistakes I don't see the point of adding eyes. When I make them to sell I use medium paint markers after baking. Eyes are in 2 steps. Background  usually yellow,let dry. Half round pupils in black. Finish with clear fingernail polish. I like the look.

• Like 1

3D or flat stick on are faster and really don't cost that much. I dot eyes on ice jigs and some of my walleye jigs but that's just because unless you epoxy coat over the eyes, those eyes will fall off eventually and someone ive given or sold baits to will complain. So they get dotted eyes. 

On 2/2/2019 at 6:05 PM, mark poulson said:

Thanks for the pic. I might try the powder water. As for paint washing out I have that issue for sure over chartreuse, but seem to be fine over other colours. I bake longer, but at somewhat lower temp.