Cole's Customs

Patents

Stick to the USA mold makers, they are very aware of their designs and are good about making sure they don't violate any patents (if they do they are on the hook just as much as you are for making the baits) whereas the offshore mold guys don't care. USA patents don't apply to them and they just pass the buck on to the buyer.

• Like 2

Their frog has 2 active design patents on it (D509278, D502981 - expected expiry late 2019 and early 2019) as well as their Speed Worm/Craw has 2 active utility patents (if I am reading that right) US6843017B1, US7168203B2 - expected expiry 2023

Edited by DaveMc1

I don't think Gary ever patented the Senko.  Just trademarked the name.  I'm pretty sure everybody who says they are making or selling their own "Senkos" is violating his trademark.   I started using the term "stick worm" instead of Senko (tm) a long time ago unless I was talking about an actual OEM Senko.  Back when I was trying to be an outdoor writer I figured I needed to have generic terms for baits pretty quick unless I actually WANTED to plug somebody.  

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff

As to Zoom.  Always look up the patent number from the package.  The had "left over packaging" for quite some time that still showed patent numbers for expired patents according to one legal challenge I remember seeing somewhere.  Who knows.  Maybe I misremembered that.  LOL.  

One of the hard things is tracking the patents, dates, and renewals.  USPTO is NOT helpful.  

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff
  • Like 1

From what I understand like someone mentioned the senko bait is not patent but the name is. As long as you do not use the senko name you are fine. Now the Zoom and Keitech ones I have no idea? If you find a patent on the Keitech fat impact let me know as I just bought some molds that are very similar to that bait.

Allen

On 2/8/2019 at 4:31 PM, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

I don't think Gary ever patented the Senko.  Just trademarked the name.  I'm pretty sure everybody who says they are making or selling their own "Senkos" is violating his trademark.   I started using the term "stick worm" instead of Senko (tm) a long time ago unless I was talking about an actual OEM Senko.  Back when I was trying to be an outdoor writer I figured I needed to have generic terms for baits pretty quick unless I actually WANTED to plug somebody.  

I called mine an Alsenko, and was shocked when I got a cease and desist letter from Yamamoto.  Mine were hand pours and I sold VERY few.  LOL

Anyway, changed the name to Stick Bait. 

• Like 1

Are they exact copies of the companies molds? Are you getting them from Baitmold.com? I have heard that their molds are not exact copies, very similar, but not exact. I could be totally wrong about that though, thats just what I have heard. That may not mean a damn thing though if its close enough. Like Vanilla Ice stealing the riff from Under Pressure, he said it was slightly different but it wasn't and he lost.

There are tons of jerk bait molds and ripper style molds out there. I would be careful of straying too close to a big manufactures design. Its probably not worth the headache in the end. Thats just my .02 though.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:02 PM, Cole's Customs said:

Yea and that's where I'm struggling. I can find the patent, but I can not find when it was patented, when it ended or should end, etc.

That info should be right on the front page, near the top.   The application date comes first, then the patent approval date.  The anticipated expiration date should be at the bottom of this list.