shootermcbob

KBS diamond clear coat questions?

Hello everyone. I starting painting my own baits roughly a month ago. I am learning as I go mostly from this site and some youtube videos. I have a couple questions regarding KBS clear coat. Do you guys thin the KBS? Do you use the paint saver to remove oxygen before closing? I see where people use saran wrap with mason jars/ragu spaghetti jars...do you do that with the original container as well to keep it air tight? Any other items/suggestions that anyone could recommend? I am currently using devcon 2 ton epoxy, but find it difficult to get a "perfect" coverage of my baits.. Another question...how many coats of KBS do you use? do you sand in between coats? Lastly, must one have a lure turner for use of KBS as i do not? Thanks so much for all the help. 

I use Xylol or Xylene to thin KBS. I would suggest some Bloxygen or related product to help preserve the product when resealing container. The last two containers I bought I had to destroy the can to get them open, so I purchased a case(12) of wide mouth, pint  mason jars at WW. I wipe the lid, lip and threads when I'm done dipping, every time to keep the lip of the jar clean.  I don't use the plastic wrap, it did not work for me, I just keep the lip and lid really clean.  If it ever gets stuck, just poke a couple holes in the lid and drain into a new jar,  a case of jars was about 10$. 

I dip twice, with about four hours in between coats and place them on a turner each time. I get large bubbles around stick on eyes, soon after placing on the turner.  So I watch to see if they form so I can pop them, if you can pop the early they will flow out.  Not sure if the bubbles are from air trapped under the eye or the excess KBS pooling in the eye socket. I have started to use a small paintbrush to "Pre-moisten" the eye socket area with KBS prior to placing the eye on the bait. By doing this I think I have reduced the amount of large  eye bubbles. Do not sand, just dip twice and hang or place on turner. My .02...

Use a mason jar with double layer of clear plastic wrap between the lid and the jar. You will destroy the KBS can when you open it, I swear they glue it shut... so be ready with the jar. The stuff is time sensitive as it is moisture cured, the longer its exposed to air the faster it will go.  I do use paint saver in my big jar (storage) of KBS, then I do not use it in my dipping jar (tall skinny smaller jar) as I open it often to use it. 

I do not thin it, its almost as thin as water to begin with. You'll want 2 coats for most lures, some guys do 3. Just dip and hang, easy as that. Do not use a lure turner or you could induce uneven curing and bubbles. 

When you are buying it, be sure to buy it from a source that gets a FRESH supply. Don't buy from amazon or ebay or home depot, places like that can have it stored for years in warehouses. Buy direct from KBS if possible! This stuff is expensive, make sure you get a good can of it so it doesn't go bad a few weeks after opening. Heres a 15% off code, just click the link then the blue "visit kbs coatings" and it will add the discount to your cart...  http://kbscoatings.refr.cc/Kbs15off

• Like 1

I just wipe the rim and threads clean on the mason jar before I close it up.  I also don't swirl the jar to let the product get on the lid.  It will harden to where you cant get the lid off.  This has happened to me before, And I just poked a few holes in the lid and transferred it to a new mason jar. 

• Like 1