SouthBelleGroveOutdoors

Tying Bucktail Jigs

I am disappointed in my bucktail jigs.  When I see pics online or in catalogs the jigs have full bucktail skirts and they look great.  My tied jigs, however, do not have full skirts and appear thin.  I use a bit of hair but after pulling out the shorter hairs am not left with a lot.  I have kept on clipping more hair but end up using almost a square inch of bucktail per jig which I think is a lot.  My thinning process is holding the tail end of the hairs and pulling at the cut end to remove hairs that are an inch shorter than the long hairs.

Does anyone have any advice?  What's the trick?  What am I missing?

We are very lucky to have one of our members that has shared his techniques on YouTube. Smalljaw ties various jigs and provides really nice instructional techniques and I’ll provide a link. The search function on YouTube will bring up most of his videos. You might be removing too much material or not adding enough back as you see in his video.

• Like 1

First of all I'd like to thank all these guys, I'm humbled by your remarks.  Apdriver is spot on, you are removing too much material, with bucktail you want to add small increments so you  shouldn't have to remove a lot of shorts.  What you want to do is cut your clump right at the base no matter how long or short your jig requires. Next you'll line the clump up to where you want it and trim, there will be some short pieces in there but it helps add flare and some fullness to your jig.  Now you shouldn't get a lot of shorts if you remember to cut ad add small amounts at a time, think layers, that will help. Also, the type of jig can make a difference, try using a jig with a ring or ball collar that you can tie up against to create flare, even a sparse jig will work well if the hair has a little flare to it.

• Like 2

Collarless is easier to tie for me.  I just wrap several times then cut off some hair and give it a couple of wraps then add some more hair and wrap until I get as much as I want spread around the hook then wrap it good, add the chenille and wrap it down use a little clear nail polish to hold the knots and done.

DSC00039.JPG

Edited by Jig Man
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SouthBelleGroveOutdoors said:

Thanks for the replies. 

As far as the jigs with flair, I bought a collarless do-it mold and won't have collars:(

Jig Man makes one of the nicest, and cleanest ties using a head without a collar.  Look at his jigs, that is what you want yours to resemble, you will only get a small amount of flare without a collar. That said, I tie on collarless jigs as well and a thinner jig doesn't mean it isn't a fish catcher, they work great because they mimic minnows really well.  Bucktail doesn't have a ton of action, what makes it so good is it creates the perfect minnow profile when wet, that is why you hear all the really good jig makers say less is more, a full jig looks good to us but a more sparse jig looks good to the fish.  I'm willing to bet your jigs are fine, and one last thing, don't compare what you are tying to someone elses jig, the head style and material could be totally different and I know if I get bucktails from different suppliers in the same color the hair is different. Hareline Dubbin Company has smaller tails but they are better because the hair is soft no matter what color because some dyes will give you hair that is really stiff and others the dye actually comes off on your fingers. So stay with it and fish your jigs before comparing them, every hair jig is unique to the person tying them.

Thanks for the complements guys.

Cadman they are primarily used for white bass but they will catch anything that swims.

smalljaw more is less is some times right.  I was fishing with a friend who is too lazy to retie a jig.  We were catching large female white bass and they were really working the jigs over. I "wore out" a couple and retied.  He kept on fishing.  I finally went to the front of the boat and took his jig.  I counted the hairs.  He only had 7 left on the jig but was still catching fish.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. 

As far as the hair, I am using buck tails from deer I shot last fall. 

The real reason I'm asking is because my buddy does some trapping and along with his wife make fur based apparel to sell.  They often go to craft shows and sportsman's shows to sell their products.  I got the idea that I could use his extra fur clippings to make jigs that he could sell.  He thinks the people at the sportsman's shows would eat them up.