Sign in to follow this  
Ed Brabant

Swimbait

2 posts in this topic

I made a 2 piece mold of a live target trout. Mold came out ok. But the plastic i use is out of the jug. I noticed that they are too soft. If i use 2 cups at a time how much hardner should i use. I want to try and make larger baits too. I am going to try to use the big guys to make the molds. I dont sell any thing i have ever poured give them away but no sell.  Does any one have a 3D swimbait file? We have 3d printers at work and i would like to try having molds made on them.

I found that each brand of plastisol's initial hardness is different.  I would just add hardener a teaspoon at a time to 1/2 cup batches, until I found what works for me.  Unfortunately, I've only been able to add hardener to the uncooked plastic before heating, so I do go through a little plastic before I get it right for whatever mold I'm using.   I can usually  use the plastic that's not right for something else.  When I tried to add it to already cooked plastic, the heat set the hardener into a lump before I could get it mixed.  Maybe there are some hardeners out there that won't do that, but I haven't found any.