Jig Man

Joining stainless wire

I am working on a bait that has stainless wires coming out both sides and down the bottom.  I need to join the in a T that doesn't take up much room.  They won't hold in the lead unless I do some creative bending and that takes up a lot of room.  I tried soldering and that did not work.  If I epoxy the junction will it hold when I pour hot lead into the mold or will I be back to wires sliding out of the mold?

Any other ideas?

Jig Man,

Can you post a pic of the cavity with the wires? Epoxy will melt in the cavity when you pour the lead. If you put a small bend anywhere in the three wires, and hold the wires in place with tape that will work until you pour the lead. Any bend in a wire will keep the wire from pulling out as  long as your wire are not straight thru.

Can you use one wire as the "T" part and put a kink in it and run it thru to the other side, leaving you with a wire for the leg of the "T".

How about a small three way swivel?

Just brainstorming as I don't know how much room you have.

Thanks for the ideas.

I have been making a loop in the center wire and bending the other one.  They take up a lot of room in the mold and make it hard to get the hook in the right place.  The opening is just shy of 1/2".  I have to make several of these as the kids from the high school team who are learning to make baits want some as well as their dads.

20190207_082752.jpg

If you wrap the joint in very thin gauge copper wire, you can solder it. You will need to apply flux to the copper. You can find the copper wire at Michael's   or Hobby Lobby as well as the solder.

You can also use steel piano (music wire) for the wire portion and as long as you clean the wire and flux it will solder up very nice.

You can get the steel music wire in 12" pieces from McMaster Carr. in many gauges 

If in the end, the  lead is what holds the joint together, then you can get creative and minimize the loop joint for soldering and it might take less room up in the mold.    

Lot of things I don,t know about your bait  as my suggestion's are based on the pictures.

Regards,

Blades

As bladesandbaits said, you need to wrap the SS wire with some thin copper wire, add some flux, and solder away (use silver solder, or the highest flow solder you can find) The copper can just be out of old wiring you may have, even old charging cords or speaker wire.. Just strip it down and wrap it around until you have an even layer on your SS wire joint. 

If you youtube search "magic muskie hook" you should be able to find where Larry Dahlberg uses this technique to add a SS loop to a hook shank.