Faithfishing

Balsa sealant?

10 posts in this topic

I often use slightly thinned Devcon Two Ton epoxy but there are choices as long as the coating is durable, hard, and waterproof.

• Like 1

I've used polyurethane, minwax wood hardener and spar urethane on cedar wood.  They all do a decent job.  For a real smooth painting surface though, a layer of epoxy (or superglue) seems to work best.   But, I've never used balsa.

I like runny super glue for balsa, because in penetrates into the wood on the first coat, so a two coat deal makes the softer balsa's surface much harder.

Propionate works well but it has some downsides.  First, it’s hard to find prop pellets for sale.  A couple of TUers sold it years ago but not any more.  Prop needs to be dissolved in acetone, onto a fairly thin solution.  Then the lure needs to be dipped anywhere from 5 to 8 times to build a sufficient coating thickness, with pauses between dips to allow the acetone to flash off.  Afterwards, you should let the coating sit overnight to fully harden.  So it’s a rather labor intensive coating compared to most other options. But it does make a nice undercoating.  If you are building a batch of 5-6 lures, you can dip lures almost continuously.