SouthBelleGroveOutdoors

Overspray

I have a few questions on some baits I made.  I had problems with epoxy finish coat and asked that on FB.  I loved how well I was able to get the Rosyface Shiner to match my reference pic.

In the baits pictured,

1. The orange gill spot had some blowing when I sprayed it.  I turned the air all the way down to literally 0 on my air control but my Paasche siphon feed still blew the Createx Pearl Tangerine too hard and created a little running.  I couldn't control air with my airbrush as well as I thought I should be able to.

2.  In the bait to the top I have a little bit of overspray that looks to be 'pixilated' for a better term.  Some of my other baits are worse as they look like they have fine dots rather than a nice transition to the next color.  With these baits I attempted to control my paint flow a little better as I figured a stronger flow of paint would create larger 'droplets'. 

Any thoughts?

baits.jpg

Which Paasche are you using and what size needle?

Looks like some of the problem may be holding the airbrush to close but hard to tell. Spraying dots freehand takes a lot of practice and trigger control to prevent blowout (blasting of paint). Practice on the back of a plastic spoon to help learn trigger comtrol.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MarkSpolarich said:

Which Paasche are you using and what size needle?

Looks like some of the problem may be holding the airbrush to close but hard to tell. Spraying dots freehand takes a lot of practice and trigger control to prevent blowout (blasting of paint). Practice on the back of a plastic spoon to help learn trigger comtrol.

Paasche VL.  I've tried all the needles to control spray but am using the smallest one now.

I do a lot of freehand dots, and I screw up some here and there too. Thin your paint WAY down and spray at a low psi (8-10 or whatever the lowest your brush can do with that paint). Barely let any paint out and do a circular motion with the brush. You can always heat set and go back over the spot again if you are confident on aiming the brush, that's the hardest part to be honest. If you try to spray too much paint you'll get a run, if you try to spray at too high of PSI you'll get it blown all over the place.  As for the large spatter, you may have too big of a tip or letting too much paint out, with what shading you are trying to do (bright over light and just a shade not a stripe or heavy layer) I would be using a 0.2 needle. 

• Like 1