Jimmyjigs

Saltwater & Powder Paint

7 hours ago, Jimmyjigs said:

I have been using powder paint and a 325deg bake finish and the saltwater wears the paint to a dull finish. Do I have to finish the painting with a clear coat?

I had a customer that told me the same thing. Clearcoat your jig with Devcon 2 Ton.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gaspumper said:

I wonder if it's salt water that causes it or is it dragging in the sand every once in a while causing it.I don't fish salt water,and my jigs looses its shine when bouncing off  a sandy bottom when fishing walleye.

Hey gaspumper, The one thing I didn't mention was the oysters. 100 x worse than sand. Have fished freshwater all my life and never had a problem. Jimmyjigs

6 hours ago, cadman said:

I had a customer that told me the same thing. Clearcoat your jig with Devcon 2 Ton.

Cadman,  I have never used Devcon 2 ton.Hada friend finish his jigs with Hobby Lobby Epoxy and they dulled like plastic headlight lenses. How do you dry it? He used an elaborate clock motor turning assembly. Thanks,Jimmyjigs

25 minutes ago, Jimmyjigs said:

Cadman,  I have never used Devcon 2 ton.Hada friend finish his jigs with Hobby Lobby Epoxy and they dulled like plastic headlight lenses. How do you dry it? He used an elaborate clock motor turning assembly. Thanks,Jimmyjigs

Jimmy,

Devcon 2 ton is a 2 part epoxy. You have to use equal parts of the resin and the hardener. Put a little on a clean piece of paper plate, mix the two together for about a minute, and brush on your jigs. Stand jigs up with head up. Do not apply too thick or it will run down. Since you've never done this, it will be a very new learning experience. You can only do about 6 to maybe 8 jigs at a time, because the epoxy starts to harden. Once it's applied occasionally check for dripping epoxy. After 24 hours, the epoxy is hard and clear.

On another note, I re-read you post and you say you drag your jigs on the bottom of sand. The bottom of all jigs will get dull from dragging, that is just the way it is.  I thought you meant the whole jigs turns flat. If it is just the bottom, then epoxy will help some, but then the epoxy will get dull from all the scratches as well.

10 hours ago, cadman said:

Jimmy,

Devcon 2 ton is a 2 part epoxy. You have to use equal parts of the resin and the hardener. Put a little on a clean piece of paper plate, mix the two together for about a minute, and brush on your jigs. Stand jigs up with head up. Do not apply too thick or it will run down. Since you've never done this, it will be a very new learning experience. You can only do about 6 to maybe 8 jigs at a time, because the epoxy starts to harden. Once it's applied occasionally check for dripping epoxy. After 24 hours, the epoxy is hard and clear.

On another note, I re-read you post and you say you drag your jigs on the bottom of sand. The bottom of all jigs will get dull from dragging, that is just the way it is.  I thought you meant the whole jigs turns flat. If it is just the bottom, then epoxy will help some, but then the epoxy will get dull from all the scratches as well.

Cadman, You are at the top of your game. Just the bottom(front) of the jig gets dull. Was pretty sure it was the sand,oysters etc. but thought there was a quick & easy solution. Thanks ! If someone requests the epoxy guess I'll use it. Otherwise I'll keep putting the dull ones in a jar of freshwater to take home for re-conditioning. Jimmyjigs

1 hour ago, Jimmyjigs said:

Cadman, You are at the top of your game. Just the bottom(front) of the jig gets dull. Was pretty sure it was the sand,oysters etc. but thought there was a quick & easy solution. Thanks ! If someone requests the epoxy guess I'll use it. Otherwise I'll keep putting the dull ones in a jar of freshwater to take home for re-conditioning. Jimmyjigs

Putting on epoxy is a slow and tedious process, so if your customer wants epoxy, make sure you charge him for it. There are several things you can do on the jigs that are scratched on the bottom:

#1 Use them for yourself like you mentioned.

#2 If the paint is just scratched and not rubbed off, take your jig and run it under a heat gun bottom side only, and the paint should gloss over again. Just make sure you don't burn the paint. 

#3. If the paint is gone off the bottom, and the jig is one solid color, reheat the jig and swish it thru the same color, and the new paint will gloss over and you can use them as is  or you can bake them again. Make sure you don't burn the paint

Some tricks I learned over the years, if you want to do a quick fix.

• Like 1