blankman

Swirl baits

I saw the swirled frog in the gallery, very nice effect.

I did a few experiments many years ago, lifting oil paints floated on water. The results were pleasing but a bit hit and miss. I only gave it a couple of goes just to see, but I imagine that with practice and experience, results could be a lot more controlled.

You should explain your process (if not trade secret) and include a few pics. As long as the pics relevant to the subject and not just showing off final product, they are allowed in the post. Video would be a great help.

Dave

I played around with hyrdrodipping lures a few years back. Pretty cool and easy.

Dave. There used  to be several videos on YouTube just search "hyrdrodipping lures" . It may not be the same technique Blankman used on his frog.

There's several other YouTubes on acrylic swirl techniques that I'm sure could be used for certain lures. I suppose Blankman could clarify.

It never struck a cord with my customers but I think it's still a neat deal. 

BTW your frog is cool.

Regards,

Blades.

Edited by bladesandbaits
Mispellings

5 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

I viewed a lot of hydro vids yesterday. I am enthused to have another go, but my lures are a tad small for this kind of thing. I have some paint, so why not try.

Dave

I would love to see the results as well Dave. 

I know 100% with your engineering knowledge you will come up with a cool process to do this.  :?

NOTE - acrylic spray paints do NOT work. The paint floats OK, but the boundary layers are not defined well and they tend to merge. Also, pulling off the leftover paint after submerging simply does not work, so you have to submerge before adding the paint.

I need to buy some oil paint as all I had was acrylics.

Dave

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

NOTE - acrylic spray paints do NOT work. The paint floats OK, but the boundary layers are not defined well and they tend to merge. Also, pulling off the leftover paint after submerging simply does not work, so you have to submerge before adding the paint.

I need to buy some oil paint as all I had was acrylics.

Dave

Yeah. I fooled around with this sfew years ago with my son for a project he did in the boy scouts.

We used rustoleam enamel rattle can paint. It seemed to have a good bearier separation as you called it.

It was a bit messy but fun to do. I'm going to try and find the bait. If I do I will put up a picture.

Regards,

Blades

I tried to find the lure I did several years ago, but probably got thrown out. I ditched several bags of lures when my money ran out and was basically homeless with a few essential bags.

My sausages and salmon steaks are low so I will have to do some shopping soon. I will pick up the paint on that trip. I will have to see what paints are available.

I tried to make a video today showing the effectiveness of a hunter versus a straight swimmer (off subject). Total disaster; I hooked a BIG momma and was snapped. Then I crashed the other lure into structure and lost the lip. I will have another go at that very soon. In another session off camera, the hunter was crushed and the straight hardly touched.

Dave

• Like 1