Ranger2012Z518

Powder paint drip?

Hey guys, brand new here.  Also relatively new to powder painting. I have been painting lead heads for walleyes since I was a kid. However I've just started curing them in a pizza oven per the instructions on the pro-tec jar. I've noticed the paint starts to drip and hardens and looks ridiculous. Whats the the fix for this? Less heat? Less time? Instructions said 350 degrees for 20 minutes. I had them in there for about 10. Only a few did this.....Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Ranger2012Z518 said:

Hey guys, brand new here.  Also relatively new to powder painting. I have been painting lead heads for walleyes since I was a kid. However I've just started curing them in a pizza oven per the instructions on the pro-tec jar. I've noticed the paint starts to drip and hardens and looks ridiculous. Whats the the fix for this? Less heat? Less time? Instructions said 350 degrees for 20 minutes. I had them in there for about 10. Only a few did this.....Thanks in advance.

Ranger,

Welcome to TU. The first thing I would check is to make sure your ovens temp is actually 350 º, many stoves aren't. Just put a oven thermometer in there to check. If it checks out Ok, I would do the next two things:

#1 If you are getting paint drips, then you are putting on too much powder paint.  Heat your jigs and quickly swish your jig thru the powder paint. Also make sure your powder paint is fluffy when you do this. To get it fluffy, stir your powder paint in the jar with a small popsicle stick . This will loosen it up.

#2 If you still get runs, turn down the oven to 300 º, you can always leave it in the oven for a longer period of time, but 10 to 20 minutes will work fine.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

I have found that the cooler you can keep the head and still get paint to stick, the thinner the coat will be and runs won't develop.  I want my paint to be very dull when it goes on the head, never shiny before baking.   I use a heat gun and count how long the heads are under it.  

Edited by Jig Man
  • Like 1

Ranger, There is a fine line that you dance when powder painting. I use a single burner propane camp stove and count seconds like Jig Man over the flame(Plus distance held over that flame is always the same). I ad any 2nd color with a small acid brush dipped in powder and tapped from above jig and hold over flame for just a short period of time till it shines. Hope this helps. Jimmyjigs

• Like 1