Mr.BankYanker

Clear Coating

After trying a few different 2 part epoxies, I tried some Clearcast 7000 to seal up the lures and give them that nice glassy finish.  I am surprised at the Gorilla Glue 2 part epoxy story, that 5 minute stuff seizes up quick... too quick!  You have to race to get it on there before it turns into nose goblins.  I've ruined a few nice lures that way for certain.

Anyhow the Clearcast 7000 has been my salvation.  Takes a while to cure, I leave the lures be for about 3 days then Im okay with handling them.  Goes on thick but not so thick it sags, once you feel that brush skating along the surface, you know you have a good coat on.  Really great stuff.  

Another great thing to do with a 2 part if its colder temps, put both bottles in a plastic bag then into a pot, with some warm water.  Not boiling, but like bath water, let it marinate in there for a good 10 minutes, then it mixes more easily, and seems to glide on better once you start slathering it on.  Hope this helps.

got frogs (3).jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RiverDog said:

After trying a few different 2 part epoxies, I tried some Clearcast 7000 to seal up the lures and give them that nice glassy finish.  I am surprised at the Gorilla Glue 2 part epoxy story, that 5 minute stuff seizes up quick... too quick!  You have to race to get it on there before it turns into nose goblins.  I've ruined a few nice lures that way for certain.

Anyhow the Clearcast 7000 has been my salvation.  Takes a while to cure, I leave the lures be for about 3 days then Im okay with handling them.  Goes on thick but not so thick it sags, once you feel that brush skating along the surface, you know you have a good coat on.  Really great stuff.  

Another great thing to do with a 2 part if its colder temps, put both bottles in a plastic bag then into a pot, with some warm water.  Not boiling, but like bath water, let it marinate in there for a good 10 minutes, then it mixes more easily, and seems to glide on better once you start slathering it on.  Hope this helps.

got frogs (3).jpg

I like the colors you are doing very at deco! you also must have turned on a lathe.the finish is great it looks a mile deep nice work!

• Like 1

Nope no lathe... it's deep winter here so instead of being on the rivers, I sit on a milk crate in the barn with some strong coffee and hand whittle these, then sand them.  How long does it take to get the sanding done?  Way too long.  But till the dogwoods bloom I have ht etime to kill so why not.  Nothing on TV anyhow, really.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RiverDog said:

Nope no lathe... it's deep winter here so instead of being on the rivers, I sit on a milk crate in the barn with some strong coffee and hand whittle these, then sand them.  How long does it take to get the sanding done?  Way too long.  But till the dogwoods bloom I have ht etime to kill so why not.  Nothing on TV anyhow, really.

where do you get the clearcast 7000 finish

Yeah, I’d rather not see the Devcon-ETEX war start again.  My take is that both work well.  Maybe ETEX is a little more flexible in cold weather, at least many musky bait builders think so.  I’ve tried both and for the bass baits I make, I prefer Devcon  for several reasons.  It goes on thicker so you need only one coat versus several for ETEX.  It hardens faster so you need 45-60 minutes of rotation after application instead of several hours wth ETEX.  It is less prone to develop fisheyes than ETEX.  I don’t think the end product is any better than with ETEX but it’s a lot less hassle and faster to use in terms of the process.  My gut feeling is that all SLOW cure epoxies, including glue epoxies like Devcon , decoupage epoxies like ETEX,  or rod thread epoxies like Flexcoat produce topcoats that are very durable, glossy, and waterproof.  I say choose one, learn the best application techniques for that one, and never look back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2