bassmaster0726

KBS

Well I’ve been using KBS for a while now and not please at how the finish holds up, chips verybeasily and hooks ruin very easily. It never seems to get “hard”. I can take my finger nail to a mass produced bait and not make a dent in the top coat but I do the same with my life dipped in KBS that has cured for weeks and I can easily dig my fingernail into it and dent/scrape the top coat. Going to have to go t auto clear.

8 hours ago, JayBee said:

I've  been having issues with bubbles as well.  Ive tried slowing the dip and retrieve speed to comical levels and I still get bubbles.  Tried quick dipping to no avail.  When I finish this batch of KBS I'm going back to DN.  

Dipping speed should not have any influence on bubbles. Bubbles are caused by two things in this case (assuming your kbs isnt full of bubbles just sitting in the jar), oil or dust on the bait that is repelling the clear and trapping air, or moisture on the bait that is having a reaction with the KBS causing an off gas at the surface of the lure which causes a bubble. It's usually the second one that most people struggle with from what I have seen, usually because of painting in a high humid environment with water based paints that are not fully drying.. a couple seconds under a hair dryer does not fully dry the baits, I leave mine hanging for 12-24 hours at 50% humidity before dipping, after using a hair dryer on them when I am done painting of course. 

On 2/16/2019 at 11:49 PM, bassmaster0726 said:

Well I’ve been using KBS for a while now and not please at how the finish holds up, chips verybeasily and hooks ruin very easily. It never seems to get “hard”. I can take my finger nail to a mass produced bait and not make a dent in the top coat but I do the same with my life dipped in KBS that has cured for weeks and I can easily dig my fingernail into it and dent/scrape the top coat. Going to have to go t auto clear.

Curious about the hardness issue.

Wonder is there is any "gassing off" , could this also effect the curing?

I've never had an issue with bubbles or hardness . I don't use it exclusively but when I do it's going over lacquer. Maybe that's the difference?

19 hours ago, BBK said:

Dipping speed should not have any influence on bubbles. Bubbles are caused by two things in this case (assuming your kbs isnt full of bubbles just sitting in the jar), oil or dust on the bait that is repelling the clear and trapping air, or moisture on the bait that is having a reaction with the KBS causing an off gas at the surface of the lure which causes a bubble. It's usually the second one that most people struggle with from what I have seen, usually because of painting in a high humid environment with water based paints that are not fully drying.. a couple seconds under a hair dryer does not fully dry the baits, I leave mine hanging for 12-24 hours at 50% humidity before dipping, after using a hair dryer on them when I am done painting of course. 

I was told to try the slow dip method as a possible preventative to bubbles.  All of those baits where cleared 7 days after painting, and I thoroughly heat set every coat of paint. I don't touch or handle any baits without nitrile gloves and then only if I have to.  It's winter here in Wisconsin so the finishing and clearing occured in 70-73* degree temps and low humidity.  I use bloxygen and suran wrap on my dip jar so it hasn't gone off, no bubbles, no trash on the bottom.  This isn't my first go around with a mcu.  I used DN pretty successfully before I thought I would give KBS a shot, it's cheaper afterall.  But in my opinion DN is superior in everything but shelf life.  

I live in the desert southwest, humidity is not the problem... it is also stored in a controlled environment and another tackle enthusiast that has been doing this way longer than I have is having the same problems.  Maybe we just forgot how, when, and why.  

btw my year old remainder KBS DOES JUST FINE!

2 hours ago, azsouth said:

I live in the desert southwest, humidity is not the problem... it is also stored in a controlled environment and another tackle enthusiast that has been doing this way longer than I have is having the same problems.  Maybe we just forgot how, when, and why.  

btw my year old remainder KBS DOES JUST FINE!

Do you have a hygrometer in your painting/bait storage area? When I am not running my dehumidifier I can see up to 70% just from spraying water based paint, cleaning brushes with water, and other uses with water in my painting room.  And this is winter time when we are running heaters almost constantly, making extremely dry air.. The rest of the house is 45% or so humidity, my painting are can go to 70% but I keep it at 50-55% with a dehumidifier. I dipped some baits outside right after it rained a couple weeks back, that was a bad idea. Bubbles bubbles and more bubbles. If I dip inside there are none. Just that few seconds (and temp change) from being outside before and while dipping did it. 

our Humidity levels are very low, very high humidity for us 55%.

for example we had rain last night and our dew point is 31, humidity is 81 but by this afternoon both will drop to less than 30 which is typical for the desert southwest.

btw it is only the new batch of Kbs that is having these problems. 

I can literally dip one blank in old and new KBS, ( side by side ) the old comes out fine but roll the dice to see what happens with the new Kbs    everytime.

9 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

I hit my lures with m hair dryer before I dip med. slow, and I don't get bubbles.  Maybe the warm lure helps the KBS to flow better when it first contacts the lure.  Just a maybe, no real idea why.

yes sir, I have tried with heat gun, with no heat and then heated lure turner box, all of the baits have some sort of fish eye/not covering areas but only with the new can of KBS! I have sacrificed one of the quarts to my rocks in the back yard so far and if this next batch still has problems the rest of it will be sacrificed. 

1 minute ago, azsouth said:

yes sir, I have tried with heat gun, with no heat and then heated lure turner box, all of the baits have some sort of fish eye/not covering areas but only with the new can of KBS! I have sacrificed one of the quarts to my rocks in the back yard so far and if this next batch still has problems the rest of it will be sacrificed. 

Well then, I'm totally clueless. 

I don't dip that often, so I add the KBS thinner every once in a while to keep it from getting too thick.  I store it in a glass jar with a layer of baggie under the top to keep it from sticking and the KBS version of bloxygen sprayed into the jar before I reseal it.