PoppyJ

Heating Time

I am a “newbie” in the jig painting world. Got everything all ready to go. Will be using my fluid bed for painting. I have some new unfinished 4 oz jigs I want to paint. Can anyone give me an idea of the amount of time I should heat these jigs for powder coating? Also type of heat source used.

Thank you

Poppy J

I pour and paint 4,5 and 6 oz  Ultra-Minnow heads for saltwater fishing. I use an adjustable temp. heat gun. Heat time will depend  on how close you keep the jig to the heat source and at what temp. I'm going to say you will be over a minute to heat a head that big. However, the best way to find out is count it out. Count to 45 seconds and dip the head in the paint if it's hot enough then the paint will stick to the head, if not heat it longer. If you added another 15 seconds to your time and it works, then your second and subsequent heads should be 60 seconds. This is just an example of how I do it.

BTW welcome to TU.

Edited by cadman
  • Like 1