Hooklineandsinker

Better painf flow for airbrush

I agree with Mark. I've tried several of the "home brew" reducers and to me they're more trouble than they're worth. Paint companies are in the business of formulating paints and additives. They try to make the best products possible or they don't stay in the business long.

Ben

p.s. Just remember that reducers are not the same as transparent bases. Reducers are designed to thin the paint and transparent bases are made to alter the opacity. 

• Like 1

Lately I have been doing a lot of reading on this because I can't seem to consistantantly get great flow even with the same brand of paint.  One of the things that I have learned is that acrylic paints are the hardest to get a good consistant shoot. The reason is that the pigments are large.  Not that you can't shoot well with it, but it is the most difficult.  Additionally, how old, temp, humidity, and how you keep your paints will make a difference. 

Skeeter

Much of my paint is Createx, but their Wicked brand flows much better with certain colors. Especially white. It is refined with smaller particulate and is a huge upgrade over the regular Createx White. I also use the 4011 reducer depending on what I'm spraying. The metallics and others can give you fits without thinning it a bit. 

Edited by All Eyes
  • Like 1

Jkid and all eyes are right. Did a lot of reading on createx and the wicked colors and auto air seem to perform the best. Go to their site.....  a lot of good reading there. The advice that was given about contacting the company is excellent too. It will save you a ton of time getting the right answers from them.

Skeeter

Reducer is cheap, a little goes a long way. I use createx 4012, its $16 with free shipping for a 16oz bottle on amazon. I have a small 2oz dropper bottle that I plan to refill out of the 16oz... I don't do a lot of painting but I do paint every day, I'm still trying to empty the first 2oz fill up from a couple months ago. 

On 2/27/2019 at 1:14 PM, All Eyes said:

Much of my paint is Createx, but their Wicked brand flows much better with certain colors. Especially white. It is refined with smaller particulate and is a huge upgrade over the regular Createx White.

Interesting comment by All Eyes, concerning white Createx. I’ve been using opaque white as a base for most baits and have had problems with consistency - much more than any other color. I just threw out a bottle because it was so thick, I couldn’t reduce it to useable.  I got another bottle and it’s fine. When I got it from Hobby Lobby, I shook it to make sure it was liquidy (new word - you saw it here first).  Also appreciate BBK’s comment on the eye dropper. It’s much more controllable and less waste. I usually reduce the paint in the airbrush cup. A couple of drops of reducer first then add paint. My thinking is that I don’t want a blob of un-reduced paint at the bottom of the cup to clog up the airbrush. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brick Steel said:

Interesting comment by All Eyes, concerning white Createx. I’ve been using opaque white as a base for most baits and have had problems with consistency - much more than any other color. I just threw out a bottle because it was so thick, I couldn’t reduce it to useable.  I got another bottle and it’s fine. When I got it from Hobby Lobby, I shook it to make sure it was liquidy (new word - you saw it here first).  Also appreciate BBK’s comment on the eye dropper. It’s much more controllable and less waste. I usually reduce the paint in the airbrush cup. A couple of drops of reducer first then add paint. My thinking is that I don’t want a blob of un-reduced paint at the bottom of the cup to clog up the airbrush. 

The Createx white seems to be very inconsistent for some reason. I've used it as a base coat for years before switching to Wicked. One bottle seems to be fine, and the next is pasty junk. They pass the "liquidy" shake test but you can't tell before using them. I've wondered if some of what I bought were old stock or just bad batches. Either way, Wicked white flows and covers much better, especially at lower PSI for closeup detail work.  

• Like 1

Createx white SUCKS. I quit using it. I just use reduced folk art for base coating, and us airbrush for white detail work. 

I also mix paint in the brush, in the front of the cup (tilt airbrush all the way forward and mix up in the cup so it doesn't run down to the needle). Seems to work well for me. 

• Like 1