fivebigfish

New guy with a paint question

Hey fellas. I just found this site about 2 days ago and have been lurking around soaking up all the good info. It appears that there are some very talented people here. I am just getting into custom baits. For the time being, all that I am interested in is custom painting hard baits. I need some advice from some veterans on what type of paint to use(and any other advice would be greatly appreciated). I have already obtained a compressor and was told by a good friend who is a FLW pro and has made his living throwing custom plugs to get a Paasche airbrush. I was also told by others that they prefer laquer paint due to the quick drying characteristics. I was also told to use Devcon slow-drying two part epoxy for the clear coat. I have yet to paint the first bait. I am trying to compile the CORRECT tools and materials rather than purchasing a bunch of junk and then turning around and buying good stuff. I would greatly appreciate any helpful tips, comments and/or suggestions. Thanks alot.

Welcome, to TU. I see you are from Nashville.

I live in Columbia.

A Paasche VL double action is a good brush.

Harbor Freight has them, usually at a low price.

Today they are $63.99.

Here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32371

Paint is preference, I use all types of waterbase paint from

Walmart craft paint to Createx. I also use Krylon and Kilz.

If you go to a solvent based paint, you need a safe method

of fume removal.

And Devcon 30 min. epoxy is an excellent choice.

Anytime a 2 part epoxy is used for a topcoat, the bait

will have to be rotated, either by hand or some other

method. If you fail to do so, the epoxy will sag and run off.

Coley

I would suggest you start with water based paints. I started with laquer and I got beautiful results but I was spending too much time cleaning my airbrush and mixing colors and it distracted me from concentrating on the basics of lure building.

The water based paints at Wal-mart dry quick enough and they come in such a wide varity of colors and shades there is less need to mix colors. They also look good under the top coat.

Once you get comfortable with the process and you begin to see the limitations of the craft paints you can then move on something else.