Socal399

Stone composite molds???!!!!

Hey guys,

whats the difference between stone composite molds vs aluminum? I have found a company that will do a custom mold for me and they said they can do it with some type of stone mold instead of aluminum which will save me money. But being so new to pouring plastics, I’m a little hesitant. And not sure if I should just save up longer and get a custom aluminum mold made instead or if I should just try the stone one out. Any thoughts, tips or tricks with this would be very helpful. Basically he said it would only cost me about 75 bucks shipped for a 8 cavity mold. 

21 minutes ago, Vodkaman said:

They don't give much information away do they!

I suspect that this is some kind of 3D printed mold, judging from the 'custom mold' paragraph. I found this website that provides stone filaments used in 3D printing.

Dave

Interesting lol, I think I better off waiting to have a aluminum mold made here in the USA and not take my chances 

An aluminium mold would be a much better option because the cooling time for de-molding will be a lot shorter than the stone/plastic material.

However, for someone with a 3D printer, printing in stone is a great opportunity. The de-mold time becomes a non-issue as multiple molds can be printed, keeping production going while the molds cool.

My concern with the 'stone mold' would be the surface finish of the cavity, as 3D printing is not smooth.

Dave

I have a few artificial stone molds. The baits aren't shiny like a cnc alunimium molds. I  just adjust color to lighten the normal recipies used in aluiminum &  they make a pretty nice bait. As far as demold time i do the same time that i do on aluminium & have not have a problem. I had a few very specific baits that i wanted to be able to make & decided to try one. I then bought a few more after trying them. Don't get me wrong 90% of my molds are aluminium  cnc molds from basstackle, enforcer, delmart, angling ai etc., but these work fine after you figure out the little learning curve of exactly what you  want. I make a lot of craws & jig trailers with mine & they work great.  They definitely suit me & my buddies for something we use a large amount of.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Les Young said:

I have a few artificial stone molds. The baits aren't shiny like a cnc alunimium molds. I  just adjust color to lighten the normal recipies used in aluiminum &  they make a pretty nice bait. As far as demold time i do the same time that i do on aluminium & have not have a problem. I had a few very specific baits that i wanted to be able to make & decided to try one. I then bought a few more after trying them. Don't get me wrong 90% of my molds are aluminium  cnc molds from basstackle, enforcer, delmart, angling ai etc., but these work fine after you figure out the little learning curve of exactly what you  want. I make a lot of craws & jig trailers with mine & they work great.  They definitely suit me & my buddies for something we use a large amount of.

Do u have any tips and tricks for using the stone molds. Stuff I need to do extra to make this work in my favor? 

I have a couple stone molds that are 2.8" swim baits. They inject just fine for me. Like others have said, if you don't treat the mold, they will not be shiny baits like baits that come out of aluminum molds. I brush in some worm oil every few pours to keep them from sticking and sometimes this will make them shiny. I don't pour them very often anymore, just when I need to replenish a couple baits.

13 hours ago, Socal399 said:

I’m really not trying to sell just looking st a bait that I use a lot of for surf fishing. And didn’t really want to spend 400 on up to have an aluminum mold made. 

I wouldn't worry about smooth baits for surf fishing.  There is so much turbulence, and so much sand suspended in the water that the fish won't care.  They're all used to getting a mouthful of sand with every meal.

They stick more than aluminum molds. I brush them with a little worm oil and an old toothbrush between shooting.  Mine are ribbed creature baits with lots of detail and tend to stick if not oiled. I would think senkos or trick worms would have very few issues with very little lubricating. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 10:48 PM, Socal399 said:

Do u have any tips and tricks for using the stone molds. Stuff I need to do extra to make this work in my favor? 

There really isn't much to it. You just need to experiment on your color recipies if you want lighter colored baits. I tried my normal recipies & the baits were really dark with the flat finish compared to a good smooth cnc aluminium mold. After lightening up on the color they were fine. I tried painting one like lots do the sand cast essential series that do-it sells, but it didn't wotk because the paint wouldn't adhere to them because of the hard nonpourous finish. No doubt the kbs clear coar would probably be a better option compared to the high temp engine paint that i tried. If you experiment with your recipies i personally think you'll come up with something that will work for you. :yay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soft-Plastic-Lure-Bait-Mold-DIY-Zander-Pro-Swimbait-Shad-Bugmolds/192427171360?hash=item2ccd8d9e20:m:mJ2D_C34xA28PX50hhLkZ0w:rk:53:pf:0

I have a few of these and they come out dull if that bothers you like Mark said spray with PAM. Aluminum are nicer but if you are only making a few baits for personal use these are a lot cheaper.

Allen

• Like 1

Thank u everyone that has replied to my post! Truly means a lot to me to have joined a quality forum with great members that actually give up there time to help each and everyone of us! And I decided to go through with having the mold made from stone. And since it’s really only for me and my personal bait collection and use I’m sure it will be fine! cheers and thanks again guys for the info and help 

15 hours ago, Socal399 said:

Thank u everyone that has replied to my post! Truly means a lot to me to have joined a quality forum with great members that actually give up there time to help each and everyone of us! And I decided to go through with having the mold made from stone. And since it’s really only for me and my personal bait collection and use I’m sure it will be fine! cheers and thanks again guys for the info and help 

Spraying with PAM also makes taking the baits out of the mold easier.

20190305-183709.jpg

Here are two baits from the same mold manufacturer that I shot last night. Plastic was a mixture of some green from the same injector shot. As you can see one is shiny while the other is dull since I did not spray the mold. Personally I am liking the matte color so I will shoot the rest of that cup in that mold.

Allen

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, Munkin said:

20190305-183709.jpg

Here are two baits from the same mold manufacturer that I shot last night. Plastic was a mixture of some green from the same injector shot. As you can see one is shiny while the other is dull since I did not spray the mold. Personally I am liking the matte color so I will shoot the rest of that cup in that mold.

Allen

Allen, 

I think I’m with u on this. I like the matte color as well. Definitely is something different for sure! Thank u very much for the side by side pic! I made the order I can’t wait to get it in the mail! Hopefully it won’t take forever! 

Looking forward to starting to pour and inject my own plastics 

The only issue I have had with my stone molds is that the runners are really small. On one mold, the runner is literally the size of a 1/8th oz slip sinker. There is not much waste in their molds as far as extra stone material. If I shoot too hot, the baits will dent because their isn't enough of a runner to pull from, these are top injected swim baits. Topping off doesn't help because the runner and gate freeze pretty quickly.  These took a little trial and error to dial in consistent baits what wouldn't dent.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 4:08 AM, BuckeyeFishing said:

The only issue I have had with my stone molds is that the runners are really small. On one mold, the runner is literally the size of a 1/8th oz slip sinker. There is not much waste in their molds as far as extra stone material. If I shoot too hot, the baits will dent because their isn't enough of a runner to pull from, these are top injected swim baits. Topping off doesn't help because the runner and gate freeze pretty quickly.  These took a little trial and error to dial in consistent baits what wouldn't dent.

Since they are stone molds, and not aluminum, could you enlarge the runner with a dremel tool grinding bit, since what it looks like doesn't matter?

• Like 1