cope102

2 ton epoxy question

First of all, adding Devcon 2 Ton (D2T) epoxy does not harden the paint it only adds a clear coat to your head. By putting D2T on your jigs, you are just prolonging your paint job awhile longer, until your epoxy wears off and then your paint starts wearing off from having your jigs dragged on the bottom of the lake or over rocks. If you are powder painting your jigs, baking them in a toaster oven hardens the paint. Applying D2T to a jig that has 2D or 3D eyes definitely keeps the eye from falling off. If you don't have eyes on your jig no need to epoxy the heads unless you want to. Finally, I would not dip the jigs in D2T, you will waste too much epoxy. Since D2T is self leveling, I just take a small paint brush and brush on the epoxy after the eyes are on, and then I stand the jig with the head up , to keep the epoxy from forming tear drops and sagging. You do not need a lot of epoxy to cover a jig. Thinner is better, but make sure you cover everything.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, cadman said:

First of all, adding Devcon 2 Ton (D2T) epoxy does not harden the paint it only adds a clear coat to your head. By putting D2T on your jigs, you are just prolonging your paint job awhile longer, until your epoxy wears off and then your paint starts wearing off from having your jigs dragged on the bottom of the lake or over rocks. If you are powder painting your jigs, baking them in a toaster oven hardens the paint. Applying D2T to a jig that has 2D or 3D eyes definitely keeps the eye from falling off. If you don't have eyes on your jig no need to epoxy the heads unless you want to. Finally, I would not dip the jigs in D2T, you will waste too much epoxy. Since D2T is self leveling, I just take a small paint brush and brush on the epoxy after the eyes are on, and then I stand the jig with the head up , to keep the epoxy from forming tear drops and sagging. You do not need a lot of epoxy to cover a jig. Thinner is better, but make sure you cover everything.

Thank you for the help! I've brushed epoxy on before but made brush streaks im assuming due to being to thick of a coat that is why i was asking about dipping them,  i will have to try again. 

cope102,Had a friend that was into putting epoxy on painted jigheads. He would use a cheap throwaway brush then dry them on a clockmotor turning wheel with alligator clips. Seemed like a lot of bother.As Cadman said it dulls that once pretty head in use. I paint over the stick on eyes with "Hard As Nails" by Sally Hansen. Works long enough for me,Jimmyjigs

• Like 1

Cope102, there are many ways to do things. Jimmyjigs has some valid points. You can put jigs on a  fixture that they use to turn fishing rod epoxy, this will keep the epoxy from sagging and running. You don't have to use epoxy for putting in weedguards or covering eyes. There are a lot of options. Find what works for you and if you're happy with it go for it. Only you know how much time and money you want to put into making your jigs.  The fish don't care if your jigs are perfect, however if you are selling jigs, your customers will always want top notch work.

As far as brushing epoxy on jigs, I never get brush streaks. The epoxy is self leveling and the brush streaks disappear.

• Like 1

When I first started making and painting jigs, I struggled with this decision. Topcoat or not? Eyes or not? I knew my jigs caught fish without the topcoat and eyes so why bother? After awhile and looking at some of the beautiful baits and creations in our gallery, I wanted my stuff to look like that. I needed to “up” my game. I asked a lot of questions and read a lot about people were doing, what products they were using etc.etc. Smalljaw told me one day what the topcoat will Do is make all that color you spent so much time applying really POP. That was sage advise from an experienced baitmaker. Eyes enhance your creations, also.

• Like 2