Apdriver

Three Cavity 2.5 inch Grub

Having trouble with this mold. I have two others just like it and they shoot fine but I have opened the bottom vents a touch and expanded the gates. Now two shoot really nice but this one won’t fill the last cavity. Just wanted to throw this out and see what you guys thought. I have opened the vent enough after a couple adjustments it is flashing just a hair as seen in the photo. I haven’t been preheating and this just may be one of those that require it. I dunno but prefer not to have to and I shoot in a heated shop. 70 plus in there so it’s not freezing. Anyway, any thoughts?

?do=download

It looks as if there is more of the crown of the tail in the vent. What if you block off the right side of the vent next to the tail with some clay ( or something easily removed. ) to keep more of the plastic shooting toward the inside of the mold. Or keep the first 2 cavities full and shoot just the last cavity to see how it fills.

My thoughts are when the first two tails fill out the last one has no way to vent. Try drilling a hole through the mold in the vent of the last  tail. Thus the air will be released after the first two fill. Does not need to be large but does need to be at the tip of the tail. 

CEB753AD-1FD8-477C-9209-71B7A98D64CA.jpeg

Edited by Frank
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Frank said:

My thoughts are when the first two tails fill out the last one has no way to vent. Try drilling a hole through the mold in the vent of the last  tail. Thus the air will be released after the first two fill. Does not need to be large but does need to be at the tip of the tail. 

CEB753AD-1FD8-477C-9209-71B7A98D64CA.jpeg

I agree ,, the area where the flashing is - air from the flashing and air from the tail tip are venting against each other with no where to escape.

Well, I solved the issue this morning. I appreciate the comments and replies and I’m sure the good ideas you guys shared.

Before I drilled, I thought I would expand the two vents I had not. Worked like a charm. I really don’t understand why as I thought the middle vent was probably the culprit. After expanding the other two cross mold vents it shot very well. I guess maybe after cutting multiple molds,maybe the tolerances on those vents shallowed out and weren’t cut quite deep enough. 

• Like 2