Nim713

Stripes and designs

Im brand new to this site, but was wondering what are thoughts on using permanent pens or markers for drawing lines and stripes on baits. Which are good ones to use? Im still getting down my airbrushing skills but I have some problems with my hand, im a little more steady with a pen style.

Thank You for and input. 

On 2/25/2019 at 9:26 AM, Mr.t said:

Alot of the permanent pens and markers will run and bleed when cleared coated, if your set on doing it by hand, I'd try paint markers. But I agree with the comments above,  watch YouTube vids and practice with an air brush. 

I used to add red permanent marker to my bait's gills, and then hang them vertically after top coating them with concrete sealer.  I liked how the red marker would run down the side of the bait.  

You can see the effect in this glider:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodieb8 said:

use some very thin lexan for templates. markers are awfull if you want to repaint over the lure. you will get bleed thru ,and get peed off.

If I don't want my markers to run, after I've heat set them I shoot a coat of Createx transparent base over them before I top coat.  But like the "bleeding gill" effect sometimes.

• Thanks 1

I use stencils made from a plain piece of paper, but also I would add that you can just paint patterns on using your airbrush freehand.  Use your imagination when applying.  A perch pattern for instance, can be done free hand.  Once you put on the 1st coat of epoxy or clear coat, you will be absolutely amazed at how the colors just pop out at you.  IMHO most lure colors/paint schemes are for the fisherman, not the fish.  If they catch our eye while perusing the bait shop, we buy them cause they look cool.  What does the fish really see and is it more inclined to be attracted by the action then the beauty of the paint?  Not sure, but use your imagination and let the painting begin.  I have attached a couple of examples of my free hand - the tiger musky is done with paper stencils while the perch topwater is done freehand.  Like I said previously, when you first finish painting them, they look blase, but once you put the clear coat or epoxy on, the colors jump out at you and at the fish!  Happy Lure Painting!

20191106_094448.jpg

20191107_082036.jpg

• Like 1

These lures were both actually "mistakes".  Note the stripes on the tiger musky are "upside down" (just on one side) and the topwater bait started out life as a straight un-jointed jerk bait.  It had very poor or no action, so I turned it into a jointed top water by cutting the joint, painting the insides black, adding screw eyes and a stainless lip.  Hopefully, the fish won't notice.  Are they perfect, absolutely not, that's my point.  Just experiment, you might surprise yourself.

• Like 1

Hi @Nim713,,

Lots of good suggestions in the comments above. For me just practicing with the airbrush gave me the best results. Each time you mess something up, and you will mess something up,  makes you think harder about it the next time around and forces you to get better. One thing I found very helpful is to paint a bait with whatever base colors you choose, then allow it to dry fully. Then lay a piece of tracing paper over the bait and draw out whatever lines/gills/etc. you want exactly where you want them to be on the bait using a pencil with a thick point. Once you draw the outlines flip the tracing paper over and lay it onto a piece of card stock, index card, or some other rather thick paper, and then draw over the lines you made. This will transfer the lead/graphite you did on the lure body onto the thicker paper. Then just remove the tracing paper, go over the lines again to make them more pronounced, cut the shapes out with an exact knife and bam! You have a stencil that will line up perfectly on your bait. The first image I did using the tracing paper method and the second image I did using a mix of the tracing paper method and free hand with the airbrush. 

74205769_10157888566953552_5600389276672983040_n.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-09 at 16.12.35.jpeg

• Like 2

I use .005 DURA-LAR polyester film it comes  25 sheets 9" X 12" (you have to cut it in half) and I think I got it on amazon. It will be a little tricky to start but then you will like it I do. You can draw your own or just type in google tiger stripes and copy, follow instruction how to bring stripes into the stencil cutter and then your on the way. Go on you tube they will show you how to bring your copy into the cutter. When you get your cutter start with the lightest cut then deeper till you just cut through the .005

Wayne

• Like 2