rockyj2

Dead on worm plastic

What temps are you cooking at ? Never used the brand but, I've always cooked till the consistency was enough to shoot. Finally introduced an infra red thermometer to the process. I was way off ( Below). Now my curing time has been reduced by a week. Virtually a dry bait once cooled off.

Edited by The Plastics Man

13 hours ago, rockyj2 said:

Anyone else have trouble with this sticky stuff ???

Is it the new formula?  They switched plastisol suppliers at the beginning of the year. 

They used to buy all there plastisol from Bait Plastics and I prefer the old formula so I just get it direct from BP now.  I would contact them direct if still having issues.

Their new stuff you REALLY have to mix the crap out of it. I use an electric drill and I mix until my shoulder can't take it any longer (5 1/2 to 6 minutes) and sometimes it still feels kinda tacky and gums up my injectors.

Travis Crossman said conversion temp is 350 on their new stuff but I get better results if I my initial cook brings it to the 360-370 range. My baits don't feel nearly as tacky coming out of the molds. The cups and injectors are easier to clean as well.

There have been so many complaints about the new plastisol I'm wondering if there wasn't something wrong with at least part of that first delivery they took. My own experience with it is my first bucket was contaminated with black particles and I have to cook it to higher temps than what we've been told to do in order to avoid things like sticky baits and gummed up injectors. (Dead-On replaced that first bucket and I haven't opened it yet.)

Someone posted either here or on another site I go to, that Dead On was sticky out of the mold, but once it cured it was fine. He didn't specify what his cure time was but I usually cure for 1-3 days. I just shot my first batch with Dead On last night and it was sticky outta the mold for sure. It will have cured 24 hrs at about 7pm, we will see what its like then.

Pouring it in a bowl and mixing it with a blender is ok. But are you absolutely sure you got all the stuff that settles on the bottom of the jug in the mix. Shaking it will not loosen it up all the time. When you say sticky, most of the time it is not mixed well enough. And if you feel what you are doing is to much maybe try and change what you do for that plastic. Gallon jugs are not really ideal for plastic that needs to be mixed well evertime. Getting something on the bottom of the container and making sure there is no sludge is very important for any plastisol. I see some guys say heating is important to this plastic you may need to check your initial temp very carefull. I use Spikeit plastic and never get mine above 340 without an issue. Mine is mostly around 330 initial heating. One other thing to remember when getting plastic from someone who repackages it it can be say inconsistent. Getting plastic from a company who makes it is always your better bet. 

• Like 2

Just checked what I poured Monday night, so they have been curing for about 36 hrs, and its getting better. The claws aren't sticking together as badly and the baits aren't sticking together. Tonight will be 48 hrs, but I usually like them to sit 72 hrs before packaging and adding a little worm oil. Will continue to monitor.

I bought a gallon a few weeks back just to try something different from what I had been using. I won’t name the specific brand I was using for the past 2 years but no matter what I did I could not get consistent clear baits or lighter colors without scorching/yellowing. My thoughts thus far a half gallon in is it has its corks but I like it. I have shook the guts out of this stuff with nothing stuck to the bottom. Baits still come out tacky but after say 24 hrs they are pretty much good to go and 48 hrs there is no sticky problem. As stated above by Elf I raised my initial conversion temp to 360-370 and that made an improved difference in curing time. My whites, chartreuse, and clear baits stay true with this plastic no matter how much I reheat.  Like people’s choices in beverages, to each his own applies in plastics too.  

As I said in my above post, I have never had any problems with the Dead ON Plastix. I love the way you just don't get yellowing, no matter how many reheats I do. But I must say, I am still using the plastic that I bought, before the first of the year, . So I can't  comment on the new formula. I love the old formula, it is the easiest plastic to work with I have tried, and I have tried alot of the other brands.

It looks like I may have to buy my next plastic from Bait Plastics, if the new formula has changed, and leaves the baits sticky.

11 hours ago, Elf said:

Dead-On doesn't hard pack so you don't need to worry about "stuff on the bottom of the jug".

How can you say that if there new one has not even been on the market long enough to know if it does? All plastic settles in time it is just the nature of how it’s made. Some settle faster than others. 

I can say mine sat for about 2 weeks before I used it. It definitely separated but didn't hard pack, but it also only sat for 2 weeks. I checked my baits again last night and they continue to improve from the initial pour. Most of the tackiness is gone but I am still concerned that the claws on the craws i poured are gonna stick together while working the bait. Gonna do a test of the action tonight when I get home from work to make sure those claws don't stick together. If they do, I will be going back to Bait Plastics for making craws and grubs.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:45 AM, Elf said:

Dead-On doesn't hard pack so you don't need to worry about "stuff on the bottom of the jug".

Science says it will hard pack, Especially if you have to mix the hell out of it like said, It may not pack hard like drywall mud, but there will be some settlement eventually.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2019 at 8:55 PM, Frank said:

How can you say that if there new one has not even been on the market long enough to know if it does? All plastic settles in time it is just the nature of how it’s made. Some settle faster than others. 

A bucket of the new stuff sat in my garage for almost a month before I opened it and although there was about 3 inches of separation in the top of the bucket, there was  zero hard pack on the bottom. The previous bucket took several months to use up and I would go several weeks at a time w/o stirring. No hard pack.

If you let it set 6 months will there be hard pack? I dunno but maybe I'll try it.

8 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

Science says it will hard pack, Especially if you have to mix the hell out of it like said, It may not pack hard like drywall mud, but there will be some settlement eventually.

It certainly doesn't happen very quickly with their stuff. Note my post above. :)

Elf you are the only one saying hard pack no one else even mentioned it. All plastic separates and need to be mixed well before pouring some out. As you stated it did seperate and needed to be mixed before use. Gallon jugs make it harder to make sure it is mixed. Unless it has a wide mouth and you can make sure there is nothing on the bottom. And remember if you pour off the top of the container and heat it you just changed to rest of what you have. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, Frank said:

Elf you are the only one saying hard pack no one else even mentioned it.

Why does that matter? Are you saying that because no one else brought it up I shouldn't have either?

I've let this stuff set for weeks with no discernible hard pack on the bottom of the bucket. So while I understand that it will eventually hard pack, it simply doesn't short term and imo that's a positive for their plastisol and that positive is why I brought it up to begin with. 

I hope this explains my posts and makes them ok now.

It is always good practice to get a system down and make sure you stick to what you do every time you pour. Mixing the plastic and making sure there is no settlement on the bottom is a good habit to get in to. Saying to just give it a quick mix in the container and not make sure there’s no settling is a bad habit. Guys do that and report the plastic is sticky, to soft and many other issues when in fact it is user error from poor information and bad practices. That’s what I am saying. Repackagers replace the so called bad plastic because they will get a bad review and could hurt sales in the future. Anyone reading this and has had a problem try this when you get ready to pour get something and run it across the bottom of your container and see what you get when you lift it out. Call it what you want but It most likely won’t be hard but needs to be mixed in to get good consistants results. 

• Like 1