rockyj2

Dead on worm plastic

1 hour ago, Frank said:

Saying to just give it a quick mix in the container and not make sure there’s no settling is a bad habit.

I've never said or implied that.

1 hour ago, Frank said:

Anyone reading this and has had a problem try this when you get ready to pour get something and run it across the bottom of your container and see what you get when you lift it out. Call it what you want but It most likely won’t be hard but needs to be mixed in to get good consistants results. 

I've done that, gently scrape the bottom of the bucket to see what's down there, and I come up empty each time with Dead On Plastix.

Will it eventually? Yes of course, like Baitjunkys said, the science says it will. I don't know how long I'd have to let a bucket of this stuff sit in order to find hard pack but I haven't found it after letting the stuff sit for as long as 3 weeks between mixes. YMMV
I've mixed the crap out of it with an electric drill and still get some tackiness and gummed up injector tubes. I suspect I'm not the only one to have mixed it well and still had issues. Understand I'm mixing it as long as my shoulder allows which varies slightly but is generally in the 5.5-6 minute range. If mixing requirements are longer than that I'll have to buy a different plastisol next time.

Edited by Elf

I've mixed the crap out of it with an electric drill and still get some tackiness and gummed up injector tubes.

what are you getting in your tubes? Show us your gummed up? I’ve always had to clean my injectors like most of my other equipment. They aren’t maintenance free.

I've always had to clean mine also, but this is stuff that builds up at the back end of the injector tube pretty quickly. The other day there was a bunch after just 5 shots.

I used to clean the injector with a bottle brush after every session, now I clean this part with a paper towel or a rag because it's just to much for the brush.

53478466_171651137154461_6105487863158145024_n.jpg

That looks like the oring is letting plastic past it. Try changing o rings and adding worm oil, if it still persist doing that add some shim stock under the oring to tighten it just a bit. One thing that might be different about the new plastic is the viscosity, might be thinner at shooting temp and then causes this to happen. Read your other post again about mixing for 5-6 minutes, I mix mine for about 30 seconds with a drill every time I take some out. 

One trick to tighten the orings is to remove the oring and take Teflon tape and make a round or two in the oring groove, break it off and replace the oring. After awhile plastic will get behind the plunger. Apart from just making your injector feel sticky, it doesn’t hurt a thing even if changing colors. Just part of the process.

what really is happening. injectors dont have a wiper seal, so the oring lets it slide by, and build up just keeps happening. If it had a wiper, IE a square edged seal, it would wipe as it was pushed. Regardless of the plastic brand you almost always get the buildup. Ultramolds uses a wiping o ring in there shooting star, reason it don't have to be cleaned all the time.

What else does not help, I see all the time, is shooting the plastic way to cold and man handling on the injector to shoot it, Inevitably pushing the plastic by the orings as well.

Edited by Baitjunkys
  • Like 1