Vodkaman

Triple Point Hunting Theory – the Wild Thing

I wish Dean McClean would surface. Every crankbait I have made by Dean hunts and I've had them 10 years.

90% of the bites come on the first 2 or 3 cranks of the reel handle.

On another note. I have been fishing the original Megabass  S- crank alot.( Not the KO).It moves off center and returns nice and this is  more probounced when bounced off cover. The body style is pot bellied and the steel balls are deep in the belly behind the front hook hanger. The bill is square but wider out to the end  than most production square bills . The rear hook hanger comes out just above the tail. If you take a step back and examine the bait carefully it doesn't look traditional and is actually kind of wierd looking. Its clear that there are multiple factors in the design that contribute to the overall performance but they have clearly figured it something else out that's not visual as the knock offs I have used don't react the same.

Regards,

Blades

• Thanks 1

VodkaMan,  this is my first post but i have been scouring the hardbait forums for quitesome time now and I greatly appreciate all the effort you put into the information you share with us all here!  I have like so many others here grown very addicted to building and painting crankbait's and jerkbait's!  Thanks to you and this forum I have been able to build some pretty successful lures and when I am experimenting with new ideas and can't quite figure something out I can reference these forums and usually always find the answer.   Thanks again, 

Jesse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In a follow up, I made two more shallow running 2.5 baits, with longer bills.

The first one's bill was a tad under 1" (the thickness of a pencil line) out from the front of the lure.  It hunts at a low or moderate retrieve, moving back and forth from a straight line retrieve about 6", from what I could see in the dirty water.  On a high speed retrieve, the bait rolls.

The second one's bill was 15/16" out from the front of the lure.  It hunts at both low and high speed retrieves  The water is too dirty to see how much.

Both baits has as identical as I could make them bodies, bills, ballast, and lip angles.

Clearly, the length of the bill is what affects the bait's hunting action, at least in my prototypes.  My hat's off to Vodkaman Dave!  He solved it in a reproducible way, so I have a great starting point for any cranks I make that I want to hunt.

So I know have four baits that hunt, two shallow (3-4'), and two deeper (6-8').

I'm going to paint the shallow ones with a red craw pattern, and the two deeper ones with a bluegill pattern.

The other two deeper baits that don't hunt, but swim just fine, I'll probably paint in a chart. sexy shad pattern, since that simulates lots of the baitfish here on the CA Delta.

Edited by mark poulson

Mark - good job, you have the hunt problem beaten into submission.

I am already re-thinking the 3rd harmonic pendulum hypothesis as this puts the ballast too low. I am sure there will be something there but building a lure around it would be a problem. I will still pursue the lazy 'S' motion independently.

My current thoughts for the wild hunt; is that the CoG must be in line with the roll rotation axis; a line drawn from the tow eye perpendicular to the lip. This still places the ballast very low, which is in line with what I remember of the bait from 12 years ago.

This is still triple point; combining yaw, roll and pitch. Still hypothesis though as I have been a little tardy in moving on to the second prototype, probably due to apprehension. For the second prototype I am using one of a batch of fifty bodies that were rejected by a customer. I would be loving the irony if the rejected body produced the first Triple Point Hunter :)

Dave

• Thanks 1

I did have the same moving ballast in all the baits, up 1/4" above the line tie to rear hook hanger line, and 1/4" behind a line drawn perpendicular to that line up from the 3 gram belly hanger/weight combination.

My next prototype would have been with no moving ballast, and a 4 gram belly weight, repeating the longer bill experiment, if these hadn't succeeded.  Fortunately, I don't have to go to through that exercise.  While I enjoy making baits, I'd much rather find one that works, and just duplicate that one.  I am lazy!